Abraham Klein (physicist)
January 10, 1927|
|Died||January 20, 2003(aged 76)|
Quantum field theory
University of Pennsylvania
|Alma mater||Brooklyn College
|Doctoral advisor||Julian Schwinger|
|Notable students||Benjamin W. Lee|
Abraham Klein (January 10, 1927 - June 20, 2003) was an American theoretical physicist. Klein studied at Brooklyn College (bachelor's degree in 1947) and at Harvard University, where he made his 1948 master's degree and doctorate in 1950 under Julian Schwinger. In 1955 he became associate professor at the University of Pennsylvania, where he received a full professorship in 1958 and retired in 1994.
Klein studied models of collective behavior in finite many-body systems, especially in nuclear physics, for example in Boson model and in an extension of the Hartree–Fock method with Robert Kerman (Kerman–Klein method) In the 1980s, he occupied himself with, among other things the Interacting boson Model and in the 1970s with quantum field theory in strong fields (with Johann Rafelski).
He was a Sloan Fellow and Guggenheim Fellow, Honorary Doctor of Goethe University Frankfurt and Alexander von Humboldt Senior Scientist. Klein was a Fellow of the American Physical Society. He was married and had two daughters.
- Michel Vallières, Da Hsuan Feng (1993). Symposium on contemporary physics- celebrating the 65.birthday of Abraham Klein. World Scientific. ISBN 978-981-02-1503-3.
- Obituary from UPenn Almanac
- Giu Do Dang (2003). "Abraham Klein (Obituary)". Physics Today 56 (10): 80. Bibcode:2003PhT....56j..80D. doi:10.1063/1.1629015.
- Arthur K. Kerman, Abraham Klein (1963). "Generalized Hartree-Fock Approximation for the Calculation of Collective States of a Finite Many-Particle System". Physical Review 132 (3): 1326–1342. Bibcode:1963PhRv..132.1326K. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.132.1326.
- Abraham Klein, Arthur K. Kerman (1965). "Collective motion in finite many particle states II". Physical Review 138 (5B): B1323–B1332. Bibcode:1965PhRv..138.1323K. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.138.B1323.
- Abraham Klein, Louis Celenza, Arthur K. Kerman (1965). "Collective Motion in Finite Many-Particle Systems. III. Foundations of a Theory of Rotational Spectra of Deformed Nuclei.". Physical Review 140 (2B): B245–B263. Bibcode:1965PhRv..140..245K. doi:10.1103/PhysRev.140.B245.
- Abraham Klein, Ching-Teh Li, Michel Vallieres (1982). "Relationship between the Bohr-Mottelson model and the interacting boson model". Physical Review C 25 (5): 2733–2742. Bibcode:1982PhRvC..25.2733K. doi:10.1103/PhysRevC.25.2733.
- Abraham Klein, Michel Vallieres (1981). "Relationship between the Bohr Collective Hamiltonian and the Interacting-Boson Model". Physics Review Letters 46 (9): 586–590. Bibcode:1981PhRvL..46..586K. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.46.586.
- Abraham Klein, Ching-Teh Li, Michel Vallieres (1982). "Relationship Between the Interacting Boson Model and the Bohr Collective Hamiltonian". Physica Scripta 25 (3): 452–458. Bibcode:1982PhyS...25..452K. doi:10.1088/0031-8949/25/3/003.
- Abraham Klein, Ching-Teh Li, Thomas D. Cohen, Michel Vallieres (1983). "Relationship Between the Interacting Boson Model and the Bohr Collective Hamiltonian". Progress in Particle and Nuclear Physics 9: 183–231. Bibcode:1983PrPNP...9..183K. doi:10.1016/0146-6410(83)90018-2.