|Privately held company|
|Industry||Automotive industry, Motorsport|
|Headquarters||Kempten im Allgäu, Germany|
|Worldwide, with European main emphasis|
|Hans-Jürgen Abt Managing Director|
|Products||specialist car body styling parts, engine tuning|
|Services||Motor racing activities|
ABT Sportsline is a motor racing and auto tuning company based in Kempten im Allgäu, Germany. ABT mainly deals with Audi and the related primary Volkswagen Group brands – Volkswagen, Škoda, and SEAT modifying them by using sports-type suspensions, engine power upgrades, lightweight wheels, aerodynamic components and more. Despite of that the ABT Lifestyle GmbH organizes events, its CEO is Daniel Abt, the son of Hans-Jürgen Abt. The Motorsports department is active in DTM for more than a decade. Starting in 2014 they will run a team under the Audi Sport banner in the FIA Formula E Championship as well. Since the death of their father Johann in 2003, the company with 170 employees in their headquarters in Kempten was run by the brothers Hans-Jürgen Abt (born 1962, Managing Director) and Christian Abt. Since 2011 the CEO of ABT Sportsline is just Hans-Jürgen Abt.
Johann Abt (born 20 December 1935; died 11 October 2003), who continued a horseshoeing tradition of his family with motor cars, was a motorcycling and hillclimbing racer for Abarth factory team until 1970. He is the father of Hans-Jürgen Abt and Christian Abt. He later entered cars with his own team, winning the "Trophée de l’Avenir“ and many other series. Johann Abt's father founded the first ABT company in 1896.
In 1991 the ABT Sportsline GmbH was founded following "Auto-Abt". The headquarter moved to Daimlerstr. in Kempten-Leubas and first offered about 3.500 square-meters of space. In October 2002 an extension building was opened offering about 3.000 more square-meters of work space. Since November 2013 there is a third building giving the ABT Motorsports Department a new home.
In summer of 2011 ABT was celebrating their 115th anniversary since the first formation of the company in 1896. About 170 employees are working in the companys' headquarter in Kempten, Germany, the products are sold in more than 50 countries worldwide. Since 2011 the ABT Lifestyle GmbH, run by Daniel Abt, organizes events for private or business customers.
After participating in a motorcycle race the companys' founder Johann ABT started his racing career and the motorsports career of the company in general. Today ABT Sportsline is one of the most successful motorsports teams and has won several championships in the most important German racing series, like the Super Touring Car Cup (1999), the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters (DTM; titles in 2002, 2004, 2007, 2008 and 2009) and the ADAC GT Masters (titles in 2009 and 2010). Since 2004 ABT Sportsline is one of the official factory teams of Audi under the name of Audi Sport Team Abt Sportsline.
The most successful year in motorsports for ABT Sportsline was 2009, receiving honors in three racing series at once: the DTM with Timo Scheider, the ADAC GT Masters with Christian Abt and the ADAC Formel Masters with Daniel Abt. Since 2013 Daniel Abt is active in the GP2 Racing Series and – beginning in September 2014 – he will join Lucas di Grassi as the second driver in the FIA Formula E Championship, where ABT participates as the only German team so far.
ABT has taken much of their racing knowledge and adapted it for the street, making the company a successful tuner for the full Volkswagen Group line of products.
- AS4-R – A highly modified B7 A4 Avant, the ASR-R makes use of the bi-turbo 2.7L V6 to produce 480 hp (358 kW) at 6800 rpm, and 417 lb·ft (565 N·m) of torque at 3300 rpm. Modified Luxury & Exotics magazine called the AS4-R, "a grocery getter that delivers," and said it, "handles like a toy..."
- TT-R – A supercharged second generation V6 Audi TT.
- R8-R – Not yet released ABT's R8 will feature a supercharger mated to Audi's 4.2L V8 for a total horsepower output of 530 hp (395 kW).
- R8 GT R – A highly modified version of the Audi R8 V10 turning it into what Abt Sportsline calls a "motorsport champion for the road." The Abt R8 GT R features a tuned version of the 5.2-liter V10 engine, boosting the power from 525 hp (391 kW) to 620 hp (462 kW). Many new exterior parts are made from carbon fiber, dropping the car's weight by 220 lb (100 kg). The interior features many modifications to make it more like a race car, including racing seats, a fire extinguisher, a 4-point seat belt, a rollover bar, and new steering wheel. Various other modifications make this a high performance road-legal race car.
|2014–15||Spark-Renault SRT 01E||M||BEI||PUT||PDE||BNA||MIA||LBH||MON||BER||MSC||LON||115*||2nd*|
|11||Lucas di Grassi||1||2||3||Ret||9||3||2|
* Season in progress.
† – Drivers did not finish the race, but were classified as they completed ~90% of the race distance.
Geneva Motor Show
ABT Sportsline has announced that they are going to introduce their new tuning program for the European Volkswagen Passat at the Geneva Motor Show. While hosting the new Passat, their goal is to showcase a more aggressive kit that includes a front lip spoiler, revised side skirts, a tailgate-mounted spoiler, ABT-branded floor mats, 20- or 21-inch alloy wheels with Continental "sport-type" tires, optional mirror caps, sport springs and sports exhaust system, and the body kit is more aerodynamic than the standard model.
Aesthetics aside, changes in the Passat's performance include limited yet different 2.0-liter TDI four-cylinder engine with the capacity to be tuned to produce 280 PS (206 kW) – an increase of 40 PS (29 kW) over the previous model.
- "Impressum" Zuletzt aufgerufen am 12. März 2014
- "ABT Sportsline" (in German). ITR e.V. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- Modified Luxury & Exotics RS4 Renaissance, PP. 88 to 94, By Colum Wood. Photos by Joost Demuynck. May 2007
- "ABT R8 GT R – A Racecar for the Road". AudiSite.com.
- Gauthier, Michael. "ABT Sportsline tunes the Volkswagen Passat". worldcarfans. World Car Fans. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Mihalascu, Dan. "ABT Sportsline Boosts VW Passat Biturbo Diesel to 280PS, Adds Sharper Body Kit". carscoops.com. Car Scoops. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abt Sportsline.|