Abu Asim Azmi
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
|Abu Asim Azmi|
|Born||August 8, 1955|
|Political party||Samajwadi Party|
Abu Asim Azmi (born 8 August 1955, Manjir Patti, Azamgarh district, Uttar Pradesh, India) is the president of the Maharashtra state branch of the Samajwadi Party (SP). He represents the Mumbai Suburban District of Mankhurd Shivaji Nagar in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly.
After his release from jail, Azmi entered politics and in 1995, under his leadership, the SP won two seats in the Maharashtra state assembly. In 2004, entering his first election cycle, Azmi was defeated by Yogesh Patil of the Shiv Sena party (SSP) from Bhiwandi constituency. From 2002 - 2008, Azmi was the MP for Rajya sabha. In the 2009 Lok Sabha election cycle, Azmi was defeated by Gurudas Kamat (Congress Party), Gajanan Kirtikar (SSP) and Shalani Thakrey (Navnirman Sena). However, in 2009, Azmi was elected to the Maharashtra Assembly where he served for two terms. He successfully contested the seats of Mankhurd-Shivaji Nagar and Bhiwandi (East), and under rules limiting successful candidates to one region, he chose Mankhurd-Shivaji Nagar. In November 2009, Azmi made his political oath in Hindi instead of Marathi
Azmi's agenda has included,
- Opposing harassment of Muslim youth occurring after bombings in Mumbai.
- Demanding investigation of the death of Ishrat Jahan, a girl killed by Gujarat police near Ahmedabad when she was thought to be a conspirator in a Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) plan to murder Narendra Modi.
- Demanding investigation into the death in custody in January 2003 of Khwaja Yunus, a 27 year old engineer who was charged with the bombing of Ghatkopar in 2002.
- Campaigning for the release of Muslim youths charged with bombings in Malegaon.
- Demanding investigation into the death in custody of Faiz Ahmed Aziz Usmani, a 39 year old man charged with bombings in Mumbai.
- Opposing alleged SSP and MNS of harassment of North Indians.
- Promoting legalisation of slums built after 2000.
In January 2013, Azmi said of women who dress immodestly,
- "Such nudity must be banned. The censor board must not clear movies having explicit scenes which embarrass families watching them together."