|Traded as||NASDAQ: ACTG|
|Headquarters||Newport Beach, California, USA|
|Key people||Paul R. Ryan, chairman/CEO
Matthew Vella, president
Acacia Research Corporation is an American company based in Newport Beach, California, which, through various subsidiaries, purchases patents and licenses from them or takes legal action against perceived infringers of its intellectual property.
Acacia is sometimes referred to as a non-practicing entity (NPE) or patent troll because they derive revenue from licenses and lawsuits rather than from building products. They're on the 2012 Business Insider list of the 8 most fearsome patent trolls.
- Acacia Research Corporation Form 10-K, received February 26, 2010,
- Cherry, Steven M. (June 2004). "Patent Profiteers". IEEE Spectrum. "By its own account, Acacia is the only publicly traded company in the world that is engaged primarily in acquiring and licensing patents."
- "New Patent Cases Involving Acacia". Docket Alarm, Inc. Retrieved 5 November 2013.
- "The Troll Toll How “patent assertion entities” stifle innovation. (It’s even worse than you think.)". 2012-04-09. Retrieved 2013-12-20.
- "Newegg Obtains First Federal Circuit Fee Shifting Decision Based on Recent Supreme Court Precedent". Newegg Inc. Retrieved 22 May 2014.
- "Tech's 8 Most Fearsome 'Patent Trolls'". 2012-11-25. Retrieved 2013-12-20.
|This technology article about a corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|