Education in Belgium is organised on the level of the three communities.
In Flanders the following grading system applies to higher education:
- niet geslaagd (Failure): if the student gets a score lower than 10/20 for one or more courses.
- voldoening (Sufficient): if the student gets a score of at least 10/20 for all courses.
- onderscheiding (Good): if the student gets an average weighted score of at least 13.5/20.
- grote onderscheiding (Very Good): if the student gets an average weighted score of at least 15/20.
- grootste onderscheiding (Excellent): if the student gets an average weighted score of at least 16.5/20.
In the French Community of Belgium, the following grade scale applies to university and college students:
|Plus Grande Distinction (PGD)
||Excellent (86% - 100%)
|Grande Distinction (GD)
||Very Good (78% - 86%)
||Good (68% - 78%)
||Sufficient (60% - 68%)
||Failure (< 60%)
Note that the percentages in brackets vary from a university/college to another and can even be different for two different faculties of the same institution.