Academy Award Review of Walt Disney Cartoons
|Academy Award Review of Walt Disney Cartoons|
Opening and closing screens
|Distributed by||United Artists|
Academy Award Review of Walt Disney Cartoons was a Walt Disney animated film released in the United States on May 19, 1937, for a limited time to help promote the upcoming release of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It was a collection of five Oscar-winning Silly Symphonies shorts, bridged together with title cards and a narrator. Like The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, each of the cartoons had been released on its own at first before being fused together as one film. The separate cartoon shorts are now available on DVD.
At approximately 41 minutes, the film does not seem to fulfill today's expectations for a feature film. However, Saludos Amigos, which at approximately 42 minutes also does not seem to meet the criterion, is considered by Disney as one of their Animated Classic Features (the official BFI, AMPAS and AFI definition of a feature film requires it to be over 40 minutes long). When excluding the live action between the animated segments, the total amount of actual animation in Saludos Amigos is even less than in Academy Award Review of Walt Disney Cartoons. The official book Disney A to Z by Dave Smith, however, does not include the film in its feature film list.
Academy Award Review of Walt Disney Cartoons was re-released and updated with additional four shorts in 1966 with no narration.
The original film consists of the following five shorts:
- Flowers and Trees (1932)
- Three Little Pigs (1933)
- The Tortoise and the Hare (1934)
- Three Orphan Kittens (1935)
- The Country Cousin (1936)
The following additional shorts were included in the 1966 release:
- Academy Award Review of Walt Disney Cartoons at the Internet Movie Database
- Academy Award Review of Walt Disney Cartoons at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- The Academy Award Review Of Walt Disney Cartoons SF078-0070, accessed on 25 May 2009.
- Kilmer, David. (1997). The Animated Film Collector's Guide: Worldwide Sources for Cartoons on Video and Laserdisc. p. 161. Indiana University Press. ISBN 978-1864620023.
- Smith, Dave. (2006). Disney A to Z: The Official Encyclopedia (3rd ed). p. 3. Disney Editions. ISBN 978-0786849192.