Academy Award for Best Writing (Original Screenplay)
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010)|
|Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay|
|Presented by||Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences|
|Currently held by||Quentin Tarantino
Django Unchained (2012)
The Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay is the Academy Award for the best script not based upon previously published material. It was created for 1940 as a separate writing award from the Academy Award for Best Story. Beginning with the Oscars for 1957, the two categories were combined to honor only the screenplay. In 2002, the name of the award was changed from "Writing (Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen)" to "Writing (Original Screenplay)".
Woody Allen has the most nominations in this category with 15, and the most wins with 3.
Muriel Box was the first woman to win in this category, which she shared with her husband, Sydney Box. The Boxes are also the first married couple to win in this category. The only other married couple to win are Earl W. Wallace and Pamela Wallace.
Noted novelists and playwrights who have received nominations in this category include: John Steinbeck, Noël Coward, Raymond Chandler, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Edward Bond, Arthur C. Clarke, Lillian Hellman, Tom Stoppard and Terence Rattigan.
The following 77 screenwriters have received multiple nominations for the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay. This list is sorted by the number of total awards (with the number of total nominations listed in parentheses).
Winners and nominees
Winners are listed first in colored row, followed by the other nominees.
|The King's Speech||David Seidler|
|Another Year||Mike Leigh|
|The Fighter||Scott Silver (screenplay)
Paul Tamasy (story/screenplay)
Eric Johnson (screenplay)
Keith Dorrington (story)
|The Kids Are All Right||Lisa Cholodenko
|Midnight in Paris||Woody Allen|
|The Artist||Michel Hazanavicius|
|Margin Call||J. C. Chandor|
|A Separation (جدایی نادر از سیمین/Jodái-e Náder az Simin)||Asghar Farhadi|
|Django Unchained||Quentin Tarantino|
|Moonrise Kingdom||Wes Anderson
|Zero Dark Thirty||Mark Boal|
- Academy Awards
- List of Academy Awards ceremonies
- Academy Award for Writing Adapted Screenplay
- Academy Award for Best Story
- List of Big Five Academy Award winners and nominees
- Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay
- BAFTA Award for Best Original Screenplay
- BAFTA Award for Best Adapted Screenplay
- Instead of the categories "Original Screenplay and "Screenplay", it was combined into one category, called "Screenplay", the award was given to The Treasure of the Sierra Madre adapted from the novel of same name
- In 1949, the category was renamed "Story and Screenplay"
- Upon request of his widow and upon recommendation of the Writers Branch Executive Committee, the Board of Governors voted to restore the name of Nedrick Young to the nomination and award presented to Nathan E. Douglas, which was a pseudonym for Mr. Young during the blacklisting period.
- In 1969, the category was renamed: "Story and Screenplay - based on material not previously published or produced
- In 1976, the category was renamed: "Screenplay written directly for the Screen - Based on factual material or on story material not previously published or produced"
- In 1978, the category was renamed: "Screenplay written directly for the screen"