Academy Sports + Outdoors
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2008)|
|Founded||San Antonio, US (1938)|
|Headquarters||Harris County, Texas, US|
|Key people||Max & Arthur Gochman, Founder
Rodney Faldyn, CEO & President
|Revenue||US $2.70 billion, (2011)|
|Net income||US $65.0 million, (2005)|
|Owner(s)||Kohlberg Kravis Roberts|
Academy Sports + Outdoors is a sports goods discount store chain. For 74 years it was a privately held company owned by the Gochman family, until its May 2011 sale of majority ownership to the investment firm Kohlberg Kravis and Roberts LP. Academy operates over 170 stores throughout Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas. Academy Sports and Outdoors has its corporate offices and product distribution center in unincorporated western Harris County, Texas, United States, near Katy.
In 2011, Academy Sports + Outdoors was acquired by the investment firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. The corporate headquarters located in Katy will be doing an expansion of its facilities with a completion date of 2015.[not in citation given]
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (June 2011)|
Academy stores have six departments:
- Team Sports (Including the Golf Shop and Fitness Flat)
- Camping (Including patio furniture and cooking supplies)
- Hunting and Fishing (including firearm sales, boating, and truck and trailer accessories)
- Front End (cash registers, including hunting and fishing license sales at select registers)
Academy Sports and Outdoors E-commerce site launched summer of 2011. The web site is a product of IBM eCommerce portal that includes WCS and Sterling.
- Turner, Allan. "Arthur Gochman of Academy Sports dies at 79". HOUSTON CHRONICLE. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Academy Sports & Outdoors History". Funding Universe. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- "Contact Academy Sports & Outdoors." Academy Sports and Outdoors. Accessed September 5, 2008.
- "Company History". Retrieved 8 January 2013.
- Official website
- Eaton, Collin. "KKR to buy big stake in Texas-based sporting goods chain Academy." The Dallas Morning News. May 31, 2011.
- Forbes.com article (2007)