Academy for Science and Design
|Academy for Science and Design|
|486 Amherst St #1
Nashua, New Hampshire, Hillsborough County, 03063
|Funding type||Public charter school|
|NCES School ID||330004000678|
|Number of students||500|
Coordinates: The Academy for Science and Design (ASD) is a public charter school located in Nashua, New Hampshire, USA. ASD concentrates on providing a STEM-based education. The Academy is tuition-free for New Hampshire residents.
ASD opened in September 2007 and is currently serving 500 students from over 40 New Hampshire communities in grades 6 through 12. The Academy offers a science, technology, engineering and math oriented curriculum beginning with algebra, integrated biology and chemistry, and physics in grade 7.
The establishment of the school was approved in March 2006. Its establishment was sponsored by Daniel Webster College. The school opened for the 2007-08 academic year. During the 2011-12 year the grade 6 was added to the school. Prior to the 2012-13 school year ASDNH moved from its original location in Merrimack, New Hampshire, to its current location in Nashua, expanding the size of the student body.
The Academy's goal is to be internationally competitive. Algebra, physics, chemistry, design, and biology are taught beginning in grade 7. Chemistry and Biology are taught as one three-year course referred to as "Integrated Biology and Chemistry" or "IBC". Starting in 2012, World History (now known as Social Studies) and Language Arts are taught as a package course titled "Humanities". Conceptual Physics is also taught as a three-year course. Technology and Design are taught in dedicated courses as Technology Design and Technology Applications in Society. Information Technologies are integrated throughout the curriculum. In addition to the course load, the students are required to complete 150 community service hours as well as a junior internship comprising approximately 100 hours in the specialty that they have chosen. Student projects emphasize research skills and engineering. Mandarin Chinese, French, German, and Spanish are offered as the initial foreign languages.
- First in 2014 Southern New Hampshire Regional Competition
- FIRST Tech Challenge
- First in The Wapack Northern New England FTC Championship, 2011
- Destination Imagination
- 2013 New Hampshire State champions
- "Charter Schools Advance In N.H.", James Vaznis, Boston Globe, March 19, 2006
- "Business", Concord Monitor, July 22, 2007
- "DWC announces sponsorship of premier NH charter school", Daniel Webster College, January 21, 2006
- "For '07, top education stories were Hottel, contract, Good Friday", Nashua Telegraph, December 27, 2007
- "Academy for Science and Design Program of Studies 2014-2015". Academy for Science and Design. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "ASD team takes top billing", Merrimack Journal, April 1, 2011