||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (February 2014)|
|High Street Retailer|
|Headquarters||London, United Kingdom|
|Products||Women's Apparel, Kids Apparel, Accessories, Homeware.|
Monsoon was started in London in 1973 by Peter Simon, a market-stall trader, and opened its first shop in Beauchamp Place in May of that year. The first Accessorize shop opened in 1984, next door to Monsoon in Covent Garden. In 2014 the company had about 1400 stores in 74 different countries.
In the financial year to 25 August 2012 the company made an operating loss of £4m, compared to an operating profit of £60.1m in the previous year; group sales fell to £529 million.
In 2013 the Forum of Private Business criticised Monsoon for requiring all new suppliers to give a blanket rebate of up to 4% on all invoices as well as a further charge of up to 10% for early payment.
- Company Details: 01098034, Monsoon Accessorize Limited. Companies House. Accessed January 2015. NB: either the company name or the company number must be manually inserted in the relevant search field.
- Graham Ruddick (7 February 2014). Monsoon back in the black as former Apple boss boosts sales. The Telegraph. Accessed January 2015.
- "Heritage". Monsoon Accessorize. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Laura Heywood (21 August 2013). "MONSOON: Latest news, analysis and comment on Monsoon". Retail Week. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Monsoon - company history". Monsoon Accessorize. Archived 23 April 2006.
- "Monsoon Accessorize reports "most difficult year"". Retail Gazette. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Monsoon Accessorize turnover soars 4.3 percent in FY'13 - Fashion - Fashion-news". Fashionunited.co.uk. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Monsoon and Accessorize founder invests in furniture retailer Loaf". Growthbusiness.co.uk. 15 January 2014. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- Susanne Schaller (2007). The Democratic Legitimacy of Private Governance. An Analysis of the Ethical Trading Initiative. Duisburg: Institute for Development and Peace, University of Duisburg‐Essen. INEF Report 91. ISSN 0941‐4967. p. 18.
- "Ethical Trading". Monsoon Accessorize. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "About ETI". Ethical Trading Initiative. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Monsoon Accessorize criticised for mandatory supplier rebate". PrintWeek. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
- "Monsoon faces criticism over supplier terms". Just-style.com. 25 February 2013. Retrieved 3 May 2014.
Media related to Accessorize at Wikimedia Commons