Accident (2012 film)
Accident Bengali film poster
|Directed by||Nandita Roy
|Produced by||Kaustuv Ray|
|Music by||Joy Sarkar|
|Edited by||Malay Laha|
|Running time||128 minutes|
Accident is a 2012 Bengali film directed by Nandita Roy & Shiboprosad mukherjee. The story of the film deals with road accident and its consequences in Kolkata. The director duo got motivated by Keshtopur road incident in April 2008 where at least 20 people were killed and nearly 40 were injured.
- November 3, 2007: Five schoolchildren and two others injured after a Delhi Public School (DPS) bus collides with a milk van on VIP Road near the Lake Town intersection
- October 5, 2007: Three persons are killed and two severely injured when a Matador van collides with a trailer near Kaikhali crossing
- February 4, 2007: A car carrying three air hostesses of a private airline is hit from behind by a bus that tries to overtake another near Baguiati. The car falls into a ditch and is badly damaged. The air hostesses and their driver are injured and admitted to a nursing home
- March 31, 2008: Three people, including a child, are injured when their taxi turns turtle on VIP Road. All three are rushed to a private nursing home, where they are admitted with serious injuries
- April 4, 2008: A bus plunges into Kestopur canal, killing 21 passengers on board
- April 10, 2008: A commuter, hit by a taxi near the April 4 accident spot, dies
- June 2, 2008: A speeding minibus brushes past a Digha-Barasat government bus on the airport-bound flank of VIP Road near Golaghata. An iron rod jutting out of the minibus perforates the metal body of the government bus and pierces a passenger. Near Baguiati, passengers notice the man bleeding profusely. He is rushed to RG Kar hospital, where he is declared brought dead
- June 8, 2008: A 54-year-old man is run over by a speeding minibus at Haldiram junction of VIP Road * June 17: 2008: Policemen stand and watch a man being slowly crushed to death under an overturned vehicle on VIP Road. His 8-year-old son, trembling, keeps pleading for an hour. No one helps
- Jun 30, 2008: A speeding bus knocked down a middle-aged woman at the Baguiati junction of VIP Road. The bus on route 30C/1 managed to flee. The woman, who has been identified as Reena, was rushed to a local nursing home, where she was declared brought dead.
- October 30: 2009: 25-yearold Masum Minhuj, a software engineer who was happily settled in Belgium chose to fly down and make Kolkata his home. The techie met his end on Friday morning while biking down VIP road for a job interview in Sector V, a journey that was cut short when he took a hit from a Mini Bus whose driver, apparently, cared two hoots for road safety. Commuters blame slack traffic policing for the frequent accidents and deaths on the corridor. Drivers dare to jump signals even near traffic posts that are manned. Traffic cops on duty are simply reluctant to move their carcasses and take action against errant drivers.
- Sep 18, 2011: A 47-year-old woman was killed and her son was critically injured after a private bus rammed into their motorbike on VIP Road at Kestopur near Baguiati on Saturday evening. The driver of the killer bus has been arrested. The driver of a speeding bus on Gorabazar-Babughat route suddenly lost its control and hit the bike from behind.
Arko was a cricketer. He was an outstanding bowler and had also played for Bengal in the Ranjis. Unfortunately, a torn ligament and a blotched-up operation put an end to his budding career. Frustration and depression continuously bogged him down and he tried his best to seek an alternate career; but in vain- nothing seemed to interest him. Fortunately, for him, he had married early. His wife Riya worked in a call centre – after all somebody had to keep the family fires burning. They had a 4 yr old son Babai, who was the apple of his father’s eyes. In fact, caring for Babai took Arko’s entire time and he was totally devoted to his son. Arko took care of the domestic end while his wife contributed to the earnings in the family.
One early morning, while dropping his son to school, an accident occurs. A private bus could not apply the brakes on time at a road crossing and runs over little Babai. Arko is flung aside. He survives; but Babai does not. Arko’s life is shattered. Kartick, the driver of the private bus, is arrested and the bus is seized. The Insurance Company enters the scene. Investigations begin. Who was really at fault? Why did the bus not brake on time? Was it a mechanical fault? An inherent problem that the automobile company had deliberately ignored? Was the bus driver only a scape-goat? As the investigations deepen, many unpleasant realities come to the fore and Arko together with Kartick, the driver and the Insurance agent, decide to take up the cudgels and confront the corporate giants as well as the Establishment. The outcome of this brave and risky move forms the basis of this story.
- Rudranil Ghosh as Kartik (Bus driver)
- Shiboprosad mukherjee as Arko
- Sabyasachi Chakrabarty
- Sampurna Lahiri as Riya
- Kanchan Mallick
- Debshankar Haldar as Swapan Chakraborty (Insurance Agent)
- Sankarshan Das as Babai (Arko and Riya’s son)
- KanchanaMoitra as Rumki (Bus Driver’s wife)
- Kharaj Mukherjee as MadanPatra (Bus Owner)
- Production House-RP Techvision
- Presented by–Shibaji Panja
- Produced by–Kaustuv Ray
- Directed by-Nandita Roy and Shiboprosad mukherjee
- Story and Screenplay- Nandita Roy and Shiboprosad mukherjee
- Director of photography- Anil Singh
- Music director- Joy Sarkar
- Lyricist- Srijato Badhopadhyay
- Editor- Malay Laha
- Sound Designer- Anup Mukherjee
- Costume designer- Ruma Sengupta
- Art Director- Amit Chatterjee
The media division of the Group – Innovative Production House serving television, movie and other entertainment media - custodian of Kolkata TV, a leading regional language media channel, viewed by millions of people across the country. It consistently produces high quality movies, serials, music albums, travelogues and other entertainment programs that are instant hits among its target audience and has constant media mileage. Has produced films like Choy Chuthi, Bye Bye Bangkok, Bomkesh, Goray Gondogol and others....
Nandita Roy, also the screen playwright of the film has been working in the film industry for the past 28 years. She has worked in best banners with leading directors and in top production houses. She has worked in many National Award winning films and television serials. She has directed as well as produced a number of television serials. She was the Creative Director and first Programming Head of Etv Bangla, one of the leading channels of West Bengal and was responsible for its establishment in Kolkata. She is the member of Indian Film Director’s Association, Mumbai and Indian Film Writer’s Association, Mumbai. She has also co-directed Bengali films like Alik Sukh, Icche, Muktodhara and Ramdhanu. Shiboprosad mukherjee has been working in the television media for the last 15 years. He was associated with Etv Bangla, a 24 hours satellite channel from its inception and was responsible for its programme designing. He has been involved in several television serials as a producer and as a programme designer. As an actor, he has worked with many leading directors of this film industry. He has also co-directed Bengali films like Alik Sukh, Icche, Muktodhara and Ramdhanu.
Accident ran successfully in theatres for 50 days. The film was selected for Indian Cinema Now section of the 18th International Kerala Film Festival. Later in 2012, Joy Sarkar bagged the Best Singer award for the soundtrack 'Janejaan' from this film in Radio Mirchi Awards.