|Area served||United States|
|Key people||Joseph Blatchford, founder|
Accion East and Online is an American microfinance organization headquartered in New York, NY.
Accion East and Online offers microloans and other financial services to low- and moderate-income entrepreneurs in the United States who are unable to access bank credit for their small businesses. Services offered include a small business loan program, a "Credit Builder" loan program, and a financial literacy program offered in several languages.
Accion East and Online is an affiliate of Accion International, a U.S.-based nonprofit organization operating globally, with the mission of giving people the financial tools they need to work their way out of poverty. The domestic Accion programs started in Brooklyn, NY in 1991, and grew from there to include low-income communities in Chicago, New Mexico, San Diego, and Texas. Including Accion East and Online’s offices in New York, Boston, and Miami, the U.S. Accion Network is the largest of its kind in the United States, having disbursed over $210 million in small business loans to more than 20,000 entrepreneurs.
During the sixteen years of its work in the U.S. Accion has loaned out approximately $210 million to over 20,000 micro-entrepreneurs. The historical average loan size claimed by Accion East and Online is $5,300. Cumulative loss rates are claimed to have been 7%.
A three-year study of 849 borrowers reveals that after just two small business loans over 17 months, U.S. Accion Network clients increased their:
• take-home income by 38 percent, or an average of $455 per month
• average monthly profits by 47 percent
• business equity by 42 percent
Awards and acknowledgements
• In 1998, the U.S. Accion Network received the Presidential Award for Excellence in Microenterprise Development for Program Innovation.
• In 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007 Accion received Fast Company's Social Capitalist Award for “changing the world by using entrepreneurial genius to solve some of the most daunting social problems.”
Accion International created Accion USA as a not-for-profit subsidiary to oversee and implement all its lending activities in the United States.
- As a “franchiser” in which it licenses the name and trademarks to independent, non-profit organizations that have their own legal status, board of directors, and staff.
- Accion East and Online offices that are run directly, which are located in New York, Boston, and Miami. Each has a local Advisory Board and staff who are employees of Accion East and Online.
- An internet lending program whereby microentrepreneurs can apply for loans regardless of their physical location in the United States.
- Accion U.S. Network
- Accion International
- Accion's History, Accion.org
- William Burrus (2006). "Innovations in Microenterprise Development in the United States". Archived from the original on 10 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-29.
- US Department of Treasury (1999-02-29). "Presidential Awards for Excellence". Archived from the original on 16 September 2008. Retrieved 2008-09-10.
- Business Wire (2001-12-04). "Boston-Based Accion is One of 100 Best Charities in U.S.; Five Greater Boston Nonprofits...". Retrieved 2008-09-29.
- Microlending Organizations Accion New York and Accion USA Combine, January 26, 2009