Ace of the Saddle
|Ace of the Saddle|
|Directed by||John Ford|
|Produced by||Pat Powers|
|Written by||George Hively
Frederick J. Jackson
|Cinematography||John W. Brown|
|Distributed by||Universal Film Manufacturing Company|
|Running time||60 minutes|
As described in a film magazine, Cheyenne Harry Henderson (Carey) owns a cattle ranch on the border of two counties, with Yucca County controlled by outlaws and Pinkerton County law abiding. After the Yucca sheriff (Harris) refuses to help stop the cattle rustling, he goes to Pinkerton Sheriff Faulkner (Lee), who is unable to help him because he lives in Yucca County. Harry meets and becomes romantically involved with Sheriff Faulkner's daughter Madeline (Barry), who is also loved by the Yucca sheriff. Because she hates guns, Harry gives up using them. While Yucca County may be lawless, no man may be shot unless he is armed, so the Yucca sheriff devises a scheme place an unloaded gun in Harry's hands and then have him killed. Harry sees through the ruse and uses the sheriff's gun to kill two men before they can shoot him. Harry then moves his house over the county border onto Pinkerton County, and with the aid of Sheriff Faulkner two rustlers are captured. Before the rustlers can be hanged, the Yucca sheriff frees them and also kidnaps Madeline. Harry then gets his guns and goes to rescue her.
- Harry Carey as Cheyenne Harry Henderson
- Joe Harris as Sheriff, Yucca County
- Duke R. Lee as Sheriff Faulkner, Pinkerton County
- Viola Barry as Madeline Faulkner (as Peggy Pearce)
- Jack Walters as Inky O'Day
- Vester Pegg as Gambler
- William Courtright as Storekeeper (as William Cartwright)
- Zoe Rae as Child
- Howard Enstedt as Child
- Ed Jones as Bit Part (uncredited)
- "Progressive Silent Film List: Ace of the Saddle". Silent Era. Retrieved 2008-03-01.
- "Special Service Section on Harry Carey in Ace in the Saddle". Motion Picture News (New York: Motion Picture News, Inc.) 20 (8): 1459. Aug 16, 1919. Retrieved 2014-01-10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ace of the Saddle.|