Aces of ANSI Art
|Aces of ANSI Art|
|Origin||San Jose, California|
Chips Ahoy
Aces of ANSI Art (abbreviated <A.A.A>) was the first group of artists specifically organized for the purposes of creating and distributing ANSI art. The group was founded and operated by two BBS enthusiasts from California, "Zyphril" and "Chips Ahoy", from 1989 through 1991.
The group was initially formed in 1989 during the height of the BBS era, but soon after the group's founding, ANSI art groups took on a life of their own, growing increasingly popular and spawning what would come to be known as the "artscene." ANSI art, which initially began as a method for bulletin board sysops to draw users to their boards, but with the emergence of organized groups, the artscene became associated with "underground" culture, such as warez boards.
In 1990, a schism occurred when a small but influential group of members left the group to form ACiD Productions. ACiD (ANSI Creators In Demand) will grow to become the first international artscene group.
See also 
Further reading 
- Danet, Brenda. "Cyberpl@y: Communicating Online". Oxford, UK: Berg Publishers, 2001. ISBN 1-85973-424-3.
- "Dark Domain: the artpacks.acid.org collection" (DVD-ROM). San Jose, CA, USA: ACiD Productions, LLC, 2004. ISBN 0-9746537-0-5.
- Hacker Chronicles, CD-Rom, produced and distributed by P-80 Systems.
- Scott, Jason. "BBS: The Documentary" (DVD). Boston, MA, USA: Bovine Ignition Systems, 2005.
- Wands, Bruce (2006). Art of the Digital Age, London: Thames & Hudson. ISBN 0-500-23817-0.
- Zetter, Kim. "How Humble BBS Begat Wired World". Wired News. June 8, 2005. Retrieved October 27, 2005.
- "BBSing.com, Aces of Ansi Art". ReadMe file of aaa-8991.zip. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- Jason Scott (2005). "BBS: The Documentary" (DVD). Boston, MA: Bovine Ignition Systems.
- Garrett, Ben (April 27, 2004). "Online Software Piracy of the Last Millennium" (PDF). Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- "History of Text Art Video by RaD Man / ACiD". Roy of Superior Art Creations. February 11, 2007. Archived from the original on 8 April 2010. Retrieved March 19, 2010.
Examples of ANSI Artwork 
- Aces of ANSI Art Classics, a YouTube video featuring Animations from 1991 by Members of the AAA
- artscene.textfiles.com, The artscene branch of the textfiles.com library.
- darkdomain.org, Dark Domain (2004). An archive on DVD which hosts a complete collection of underground artscene works between 1987-2003.
- Roy/SAC Text Artist- Superior Art Creations, Information about ASCII Art Styles, SAC Art Packs Download
- Sixteen Colors ANSI Art and ASCII Art Archive - A web viewable archive of current and past ANSI and ASCII packs released by the computer art scene
More on the History of the Art Scene 
- BBS: The Documentary Episode 5 documents the rise of the Art Scene
- Aces of ANSI Art Remembrance Pack - An archive of ANSI artwork created by various members of the group between 1989-1991.
|This article about a United States arts organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|