|District||West Godavari |
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
A Great leader of India Mahatma Gandhi visited Achanta. It has a wide sphere of Political history. CPI (Communist Party of India- before split up) has had a great influence on the people which maybe witnessed by the CPI symbol at the village entrance.Most of the Communist leaders have taken shelter in this village during 1950's. Several stone inscriptions found on temples in Achanta suggest that it may have served as an important religious center for Eastern Chalukyan Empire (700 AD - 1130A D). . An ancient Jain statue was found in an excavation. A merchant of Narsapur, recently constructed a Jain temple in the heart of Achanta to the above Jain statue where it rests in. On 10 January 2010 some ancient bricks and a shiva linga of a temple have been found out during digging of a reservoir near temple. Tests are being made by archeologists for knowing the period of the linga and bricks. A large snake is found to be around the linga. But it has been killed while digging. According to some rumours that the person in the dig machine became blind. Musical Maestro S.P. Balasubrahmanyam, who was supposed to give a performance on Maha Shivarathri in 1975 was driven away due to a political outburst in the event, This has been considered the disgraceful moment in the history of Achanta.
Achanta consists mostly of agriculturists and small scale traders. Like most villages in Godavari River Delta, farmers manage to cultivate two crops of paddy and one summer crop (usually lintels). Many farm lands are surrounded by Coconut trees and Mango trees. Achanta is famously called "Rice Bowl" of Andhra Pradesh. Many farms are there mostly the rice crops. Achanta Center (Kachery) is the main source of economic activity. Leelavati Complex, is another well noted Commercial Center. ayyapa swamy temples present in A.P are 2,one in gudivada and another in achanta which was built long time ago.
- Rameswara Swamy Temple is in Achanta. The Lingam (Lord Shiva-Lingam) in this temple is Swayam Bhoo Lingam (Self Formed). This is also known as Achannuteswarudu (Aa-Channu-ta-Eeswarrudu) means the linga is in the form of female breast.The temple has some of the best architecture in this part of the world.The gopuram of the temple is unique with the and is on top of the five storeyed entrance.It would be astonished to see the delicate and detailed carving of two lions standing over the head of the elephant.
Mahasivarathri (Night of Siva) is celebrated during February/ March with grandeur at the shiva temple in Achanta. The temple is flooded with devotees from all over the State during the shivaratri festival to pray and conduct Abhishekams(Holy baths with cow milk,Honey,Vibhuthi,Sandal wood powder and fruit juices) to the powerful and holy God. During the festival people around come and spend time in the mela buying fancy things. A committee of village elders monitor the famous free lunch during the festival time with the help of donations received from various donors.
Lord Vigneshwara (Lord Ganapati), Goddess Saraswati and Saptamatrukulu are the sub-temples inside the main temple.
- Gandharva Mahal (Pedda Meda) Built in 1924 by Godavarthi Nageswara Rao Gandharva Mahal is famous for its paintings (Ravi Varma), beautiful mirrors, famous Piano ( won silver award at the British Auction in England) and architecture. Famous Burma(Rangoon) Teak wood was used for the construction of the Building.
- Cheruvu Gattu is a tank where you can witness exquisite nature and panoramic view of the temple alongside the water. Best during the sunset. Unfortunately it was revamped to construct Reservoir. Apparently not a few people tried to oppose this deliberate terror of the nature.
- Leelavati Palace is the new Landmark of this town. It is known for its astonishing architecture and found its place several times in the media.
- Railway - Closest Railway junction to Achanta is Palakollu(PKO) & TANUKU(TNKU) Junction.
- APSRTC (Buses)- Closest considerable Bus Station near to Achanta is Marteru.
- Highway - National Highway 5 and National Highway 214 are closest highways to reach Achanta from Vijayawada and Vishakapatnam.
- Degree college au
- Muppana Veera Raghaviah Junior College
- High School
Sports and entertainment
- National Volleyball Events were held during Mahasivarathri festival.
- Achanta has three cinema Theaters one run down, Kalyan Chakravarthi, Nataraj(run down recently) And Rangarai(run down one).
- Koderu and accompanied are famous Dindi resorts about 8 km from a tourist spot.
- Kodi pandalu and pelli kuthuramma thirtham are held during Sankranthi
theaters: kalyan chakravathi, natraj
Member of Legislative Assembly (MLAs)
- Pitani Satya narayana (INC) 2009
- Peethala Sujatha(TDP) 2004
- Johar Mocharla(TDP) 1999
- Digupati Rajagopal(CPM) 1994
- Digupati Rajagopal(CPM) 1989
- Chittaranjan Alugu(CPM) 1985
- Kota Bhaskararao (TDP) 1983
Members of Parliament (MPs)
Achanta comes under Narsapuram MP Constituency.
- Kanumuri Bapi Raju (INC) 2009
- Chegondi Venkata Harirama Jogiah(INC) 2004
- Uppalapati Venkata Krishnam Raju(BJP) 1999
- Kanumuri Bapiraju(INC) 1998
- Kothapalli Subbarayudu (TDP) 1996
- Vijayakumar Raju Bhupathi Raju(TDP) 1994
- Vijayakumar Raju Bhupathi Raju (TDP) 1991
- Nekkanti Madhukar played for India-A team which toured to Pakistan.
- Nekkanti Venkat Rao, a well noted person for his effort on Social welfare of Achanta. He was praised many a time with sermons.
- N Venkateswara Rao a famous person and Vaastu Pandit. As Chairman of Rameswara Swamy temple, contributed a lot to the development of the temple.
- Nekkanti Atchuta Ramaiah a Famous person
- nekkanti vijaya venkata subbarao
- Nekkanti Subbarao, Progressive Farmer of international repute. Recipient of 'Krishi Samrat' award. Represented Indian farmers in the International Summit at IRRI, Manila. Brought the high yielding rice seed IR64 from here and distributed free to numerous farmers. Felicitated by the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi for being an 'Adarsa Raithu'. He was one of the farmers met by the then US President George Bush during his visit to India. Partner Bill Gates Foundation to develop high yielding seed varieties in India.
The following is the list of village panchayats in Achanta mandal.
Achanta has 18 hamlets under its village Panchayat.
- "List of Sub-Districts". Census of India. Archived from the original on 14 May 2007. Retrieved 2007-05-25.
- Anonymus. "sub temples". Retrieved 30 October 2012.