|Origin||Los Angeles, US|
|Genres||Experimental hip hop|
|Years active||2005–2008 (hiatus)|
|Associated acts||System of a Down
Sunz of Man
Red Hot Chili Peppers
|Website||AcHoZeN on urSESSION|
Reverend William Burke
Achozen [pronounced: UH-choh-zen] (occasionally typeset as AcHoZeN) is a project by System of a Down bassist Shavo Odadjian, Wu-Tang Clan member RZA, Killarmy member Kinetic 9, and Wu-Tang Clan affiliate Reverend William Burke. The group's debut album has been completed and set for release for several years now, and it is unknown when or if the album will be released, considering Odadjian's commitments to System of a Down, who reunited in 2011.
Achozen is currently managed by Velvet Hammer Music and Management Group alongside Afghan Raiders, Alice in Chains, Cypress Hill, Deftones, The Fall of Troy, Revolution Mother, and System of a Down.
Achozen's music style
The music of Achozen is described by one writer as "space hip hop, rap without a coast or even a planet. Instead, each song revolves around a solar system of feeling. The album explores and exorcises a spectrum of emotions, as each track delves into either pain, ecstasy, hate or hope. Utilizing sitar and violin, Shavo breaks the mold, playing live instruments across the album, as he constructs beats with a cosmic fluidity". Odadjian has stated in an interview that:
|“||Achozen is a musical revolution. It is not just a band, it's a way of thinking."||”|
Guest cameos on the AcHoZeN album flourish, and include those from John Frusciante of Red Hot Chili Peppers, George Clinton, Sick Jacken of Psycho Realm, GZA from the Wu-Tang Clan, Killah Priest, Michael ArkAngelo aka Naphtali amongst others. RZA and Shavo anticipate upcoming tours. Achozen also appears on the major motion picture, Babylon A.D., on which Achozen song "Deuces" is heard at the introduction of the film. Achozen's first live show was at the Key Club in L.A on December 1, 2006.
On Friday, November 13, 2009 the second Achozen track "Salute/Sacrifice" was released exclusively as a free download on Odadjian's online art district and networking site, urSESSION.com, from the upcoming AcHoZeN debut album. The AcHoZeN album was anticipated to be released in mid-2010. That year, it was announced that the album was still on hold.
The Achozen album is set to be released with a special DVD with the album's main disc. The album will also feature funk musician George Clinton (P-Funk), ex-Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante, Wu-Tang affiliate Killah Priest, Wu-Tang Clan member GZA, Sick Jacken of Psycho Realm, and Leggezin Fin. Achozen's first song, "Deuces", was premiered online on April 22, 2008. Coincidentally, that date is also band member Shavo Odadjian's birthday. 2009 and 2010 awaited the album, as well. The album is currently awaiting distribution and a confirmed label deal. Its release will likely be further delayed due to Odadjian's commitments to System of a Down, who reunited in 2011, as well as RZA's commitments to Wu-Tang Clan, who are currently working on a new album. On December 6, 2013, Shavo announced that the album would be released on April 22, 2014.
Achozen has released two singles, the songs:
- "Deuces", hip hop/rapcore song, was used in the opening of the action sci-fi, blockbuster film Babylon A.D., starring Vin Diesel. The song is used as the background to the sequence which introduces the mercenary character played by actor Vin Diesel.
- Shavo Odadjian — vocals, guitar
- RZA — vocals, keyboards, samples, beats, guitar
- Kinetic 9 — vocals
- Reverend William Burke — vocals
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2010)|
- John the Baptist — vocals
- ShoGun Assasson — vocals
- Killah Priest — vocals
- 4th Disciple — Turn tables
- Velvet Hammer client list
- "Achozen: A Name to Remember"
- "Babylon A.D. Movie Credits"
- "System of a Down's Shavo Odadjian: The Gibson Interview"
- "Shavo Odadjian Releases a New Achozen Song for Free on Friday the 13th"
- Florino, Rick (September 7, 2008). Shavo to Appear Live on Leno, People Festival & others. SOADFans.com.
- urSESSION - AcHoZeN - LOS ANGELES - United States
- SYSTEM OF A DOWN Bassist Releases New ACHOZEN Song blabbermouth.net (Roadrunner Records), November 13, 2009– retrieved December 1, 2009.