||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2012)|
|Date||November 27, 1965|
The Acid Tests were a series of parties held by Ken Kesey in the San Francisco Bay Area during the mid-1960s, centered entirely around the use of, experimentation with, and advocacy of, the psychedelic drug LSD, also known as "acid."
He took the parties to public places, and advertised with posters that read, "CAN YOU PASS THE ACID TEST?", and the name was later popularized in Tom Wolfe's 1968 book, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Musical performances by the Grateful Dead were commonplace, along with black lights, strobe lights, and fluorescent paint. The Acid Tests are notable for their influence on the LSD-based counterculture of the San Francisco area and subsequent transition from the beat generation to the hippie movement. The Jefferson Airplane song "A Song for All Seasons" (from Volunteers) mentions the Acid Tests.
- 8 January; San Francisco, California (Fillmore)
- 15 January; Portland, Oregon
- 21–23 January; San Francisco (Trips Festival at Longshoreman's Hall)
- 29 January; San Francisco, California (Sound City Studios)
- 5 February; Los Angeles, California (Northridge, Unitarian Church)
- 12 February; Los Angeles, California (Watts) – Youth Opportunities Center
- 25 February; Los Angeles, California (Hollywood) – Cinema Theatre
- 19 March; Los Angeles, California (Pico) Carthay Studios
- 25 March; Los Angeles, California (Sunset Strip) – Troupers Club
- 30 September – 2 October; San Francisco, California (San Francisco State) – Whatever It Is Festival – three days
- 31 October; San Francisco, California (Acid Test Graduation at Winterland)
- "Psychedelic 60s: Ken Kesey & the Merry Pranksters". 2009-12-16.
- "December 18, 1965: The Big Beat, Palo Alto--Lost and Found". 2013-04-11.
- View KRON-TV newsfilm of the Whatever it is Festival, from 9/30/1966: https://diva.sfsu.edu/collections/sfbatv/bundles/209388.
- Wolfe, Tom (1968). The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.
- Lesh, Phil. "The Acid Test Chronicles - Page 16 - Portland Oregon - 6th Acid Test - Jan. 15, 1966". Acid Test Chronicles. Retrieved 2012-04-09.
|This festival-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|