Acoustic Guitar (magazine)
Kurt Cobain on the cover of Acoustic Guitar
|First issue||July/August 1990|
|Company||String Letter Publishing|
Acoustic Guitar is a monthly magazine published in the United States since July/August 1990 by String Letter Publishing. The magazine offers information related to acoustic guitars for players of all levels from beginners to teachers. Each issue includes a half dozen or so songs with notation and tablature, lessons, product reviews and interviews of prominent acoustic musicians. The magazine boasts a readership of approximately 64,000 and is widely available throughout North America.
Acoustic Guitar was founded in the summer of 1990 under the editorial direction of Jeffery Pepper Rodgers as a publication of String Letter Publishing of San Rafael, California. String Letter had previously been established in 1985 as the publisher of Strings, a magazine oriented towards players of bowed string instruments.
The first issue featured the first in a series of columns written by Sharon Isbin, a biography on Robert Johnson, a profile of Bruce Cockburn's song craft, and commentary on the "new" MTV Unplugged series. The issue also included musical works for guitar in various styles including folk, classical, and jazz. In its first year of publication, Acoustic Guitar won the Western Publishing Association's "Maggie Award" for Best New Consumer Magazine of the year.
The magazine has seen a number of staff changes over the years. Rodgers remained with the magazine through its tenth anniversary collector's edition in 2000. In the summer of 2005, Dan Gabel was named associate publisher of the magazine. And in 2006, Phil Catalfo became the editor of the magazine.
The magazine is sponsor or co-sponsor of a number of music festivals, workshops and trade related events. Since 1995, its annual Acoustic Cafe Concert at NAMM has featured a diverse field of notable musicians.
- String Letter Publishing web site
- Acoustic Guitar advertising information (includes estimated readership)
- Jeffery Pepper Rodgers bio from his web site
- Strings magazine web site
- Contents (first issue), Acoustic Guitar, 1, July/August, 1990.
- "About us", Acoustic Guitar web site
- Contents (tenth anniversary collectors edition), Acoustic Guitar, 91, July 2000 (see also this excerpt from Rodgers web site)
- "Dan Gabel named associate publisher (Acoustic Guitar Magazine), Music Trades, July 1, 2005
- "A Guide to events where you'll find Acoustic Guitar magazine, Acoustic Guitar web site
- "2006 Acoustic Cafe lineup announced (NAMM Show Preview)", Music Trades, February 1, 2006
- Acoustic Guitar Central, official website