Across the Universe (novel)
|Across the Universe|
|Series||Across the Universe trilogy|
Murder Mystery /
|January 11, 2011|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover, Paperback), Audiobook|
|Followed by||'A Million Suns'|
Across the Universe is a young adult novel written by Beth Revis. First published January 2011, it was the first book in a trilogy. The book made the New York Times Bestseller List for Children's Chapter Books, and received a starred Kirkus review.
Hundreds of years in the future, the spaceship Godspeed travels toward a distant planet with 100 cryogenically frozen settlers on board. One of them is seventeen year old Amy, who wakes early and finds herself in the middle of a strange, regimented society made up of those born on the ship over generations. With the help of Elder, the ship's only teenager and future leader, she has to solve a murder mystery and save the ship. They must hurry before they both run out of time.
The second novel, A Million Suns, was released on 12 January 2012; the third, Shades of Earth, on 15 January 2013.
Revis has also written short fiction that takes place in this universe, including "As They Slip Away," a novella available as a free download from Penguin Teen, as well as short stories in the anthologies "Defy the Dark", edited by Saundra Mitchell, After, edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, and Shards and Ashes, edited by Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong.
Across the Universe debuted on the New York Times Bestseller List for Children's Chapter Books at #7 in January 2011, and received a Kirkus starred review. It was long-listed for the Carnegie Medal, and chosen as a YALSA Teens Top Ten book for 2012.
When the final book in the series, Shades of Earth, received more pre-orders than the previous two books combined, Revis' publisher launched a copy of Across the Universe into space.
- "As They Slip Away". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Lois Tilton reviews Short Fiction, mid-October". Locus Online. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Shards and Ashes". Harper Collins Childrens. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Schuessler, Jennifer. "Best Sellers - The New York Times - January 30, 2011". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Across the Universe by Beth Revis (Starred Review)". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "The CILIP Carnegie Medal Nominations for 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "YALSA's Teens Top Ten 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Cowles, Gregory. "Best Sellers - The New York Times - January 29, 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Best Teen Books of 2012". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "See Beth Revis' 'Shades of Earth' launched into space". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 1, 2013.