Across the Universe (novel)
Murder Mystery /
|Media type||Print (Hardcover, Paperback), Audiobook|
Across the Universe is a trilogy of young adult science fiction novels written by American author Beth Revis. Chronicling the life of Amy Martin aboard a generation ship hundreds of years in the future, Across the Universe, the first novel published in 2011 by Penguin Books, received a starred Kirkus review and made the New York Bestseller List for Children's Chapter Books.
Hundreds of years in the future, the spaceship Godspeed travels toward a distant planet with 100 cryogenically frozen settlers on board. One of them is seventeen year old Amy, who wakes early and finds herself in the middle of a strange, regimented society made up of those born on the ship over generations. With the help of Elder, the ship's only teenager and future leader, she has to solve a murder mystery and save the ship. They must hurry before they both run out of time.
Books in the series
- Across the Universe (2011)
- A Million Suns (2012)
- Shades of Earth (2013)
- As They Slip Away (novella)
- After (short story)
- Shards and Ashes (short story)
Revis has also written short fiction that takes place in the universe of her trilogy, including As They Slip Away, a novella available as a free download from Penguin Teen, as well as short stories in the anthologies Defy the Dark (edited by Sandra Mitchell), After (edited by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling), and Shards and Ashes (edited by Melissa Marr and Kelley Armstrong).
Across the Universe debuted on the New York Times Bestseller List for Children's Chapter Books at #7 in January 2011, and received a Kirkus starred review. It was long-listed for the Carnegie Medal, and chosen as a YALSA Teens Top Ten book for 2012.
When the final book in the series, Shades of Earth, received more pre-orders than the previous two books combined, Revis' publisher launched a copy of Across the Universe into space.
- "As They Slip Away". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Schuessler, Jennifer. "Best Sellers - The New York Times - January 30, 2011". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Across the Universe by Beth Revis (Starred Review)". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "The CILIP Carnegie Medal Nominations for 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "YALSA's Teens Top Ten 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Cowles, Gregory. "Best Sellers - The New York Times - January 29, 2012". Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "Best Teen Books of 2012". Kirkus Reviews. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- "See Beth Revis' 'Shades of Earth' launched into space". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 1, 2013.