|Unincorporated compact rural community|
Ontario Highway 37 at Actinolite
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|Elevation||168 m (551 ft)|
|Time zone||Eastern Time Zone (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||Eastern Time Zone (UTC-4)|
|Postal code FSA||K0K|
|Area code(s)||613, 343|
Actinolite is an unincorporated compact rural community in geographic Elzevir Township in the Municipality of Tweed, Hastings County in Central Ontario, Canada. It is on Ontario Highway 37, just south of Ontario Highway 7 and north of the village of Tweed. The community also lies on the Skootamatta River just north of that river's mouth at the Moira River. Greyhound Canada express buses between Toronto and Ottawa use Actinolite's Log Cabin Restaurant as a rest stop.
When Actinolite was first founded in 1853, it was called Troy. A number of Billa Flint's sawmills were built on the Skootamatta River here. In 1859, it became Bridgewater. In 1895, it was renamed Actinolite after a form of asbestos (actinolite) that was being extracted from open-pit mines near the town.
A branch line of the Bay of Quinte Railway (BQR) was built through Actinolite opening in 1903 that connected the BQR main line to the southeast to the Central Ontario Railway to the northwest. The line was abandoned in 1935. Ontario Highway 7 arrived in 1932.
- "Actinolite". Geographical Names Data Base. Natural Resources Canada. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- Taken from Google Earth at geographic coordinates, accessed 2014-06-07.
- "Elzevir" (PDF). Geology Ontario - Historic Claim Maps. Ontario Ministry of Northern Development, Mines and Forestry. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Actinolite, ON". Greyhound Canada. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Founding of Actinolite, The". Online Plaque Guide. Ontario Heritage Trust. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
- "Actinolite". Town of Tweed. 2010. Retrieved 2014-06-07.
Other map sources:
- Actinolite at the Municipality of Tweed website
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Actinolite, Ontario.|
|This Eastern Ontario geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|