|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2013)|
Action Bioscience is a non-commercial, educational web site sponsored by the American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) . It was created to promote bioscience literacy and bring attention to seven bioscience issues of critical current importance: 1) Biodiversity, 2) Environment, 3) Genomics, 4) Biotechnology, 5) Evolution, 6) New Frontiers, and 7) Science Education
The organization seeks to:
- motivate the public to play an active role in bioscience education
- show how developments in bioscience research can affect everyone
- promote an understanding of biogeography and the biodiversity of life
- engage the public to reflect on the relationship between human activity and the natural course of evolution
- promote global ecological awareness
- advance formal and informal bioscience education
- encourage students to pursue studies in the biosciences
To meet these goals, the web site provides articles by scientists, science educators, and science students on issues related to seven bioscience challenges: environment, biodiversity, genomics, biotechnology, evolution, new frontiers in science, and bioscience education. In addition, the web site provides educators with original lessons and resources to enhance bioscience teaching. Up-to-date external links are provided at the bottom of each article to help the reader "learn more" about or "get involved" in the issue. Selected articles are translated into Spanish.
- "2003 Sci/Tech Web Awards: BIOLOGY", Scientific American, http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000A436B-4DC2-1ECA-8E1C809EC588EF21, accessed December 13, 2011.
|This website-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to education is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|