|Full name||Adam James Barton|
|Date of birth||7 January 1991|
|Place of birth||Blackburn, Lancashire, England|
|Height||1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre Midfielder|
|2006–2008||Preston North End|
|2008–2012||Preston North End||50||(1)|
|2009||→ Crawley Town (loan)||2||(0)|
|2014||→ Fleetwood Town (loan)||0||(0)|
|2011||Republic of Ireland Under-21||5||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 02:11, 1 November 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Adam James Barton (born 7 January 1991) is a footballer who plays for Coventry City. English by birth, he has played internationally for both Northern Ireland, in a senior friendly, and Republic of Ireland at under-21 level.
Preston North End
Born in Blackburn, Barton started in the youth ranks at Blackburn Rovers before being released at the age of sixteen due to a serious back injury. Although originally seen as a gamble due to his injury, Preston North End gave Barton a youth scholarship and his performances at youth and reserve team level earned him a two-and-a-half-year contract in December 2008.
In the 2009–10 season, Barton moved to Conference National side Crawley Town on a month loan. After making two appearance for the club and return to Preston, where he made an appearance in the club's reserve. Due to Ferguson started to use youngsters in the first team, Barton made his full debut in a home 3–2 win over Scunthorpe United on 10 April 2010, being replaced at half-time due to a head injury.
At the start of 2010–11 season, Barton signed a two-year contract that will keep him until 2013. He scored his first goal in the 4–3 defeat to Burnley the following season. Since scoring his first goal, Barton had since established himself in the first team, where he made thirty-five appearance in all competitions and scoring once. However, Barton was unable to help the club to their relegation to League One.
Ahead of the 2011–12 season, Barton was linked with Wolverhampton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers. Despite this, newly appointed manager Phil Brown believes Barton could be a key figure to the club this season, quoting: "That is the position for him, sitting in front of the back four and making us play, like an orchestra leader. He has got that ability but he has to demand the ball and get on it more times." However, Barton expectation's wasn't planned, as he mostly spent time on the bench at the start of the season. Barton scored his first goal of the season, in the League Cup Third Round, in a 2–1 loss against Southampton.
On 25 February 2012, Barton suffered a suspected triple leg break and a dislocated ankle in a 0–0 draw against Walsall after making a challenge with Walsall's Richard Taundry. As a result of his injury, newly manager Graham Westley believes the injury will make Barton come back stronger once he recovered, while Taundry, the player caused the challenge on Barton, believes the tackle was innocuous, though he wished Barton a speedy recovery. Following a surgery, Barton will be out for the reminder of the season.
On 6 August 2012, Adam signed a three-year contract with Coventry City. He made his league debut for the club, in the opening game of the season as Coventry City drew 1–1 with Yeovil Town. Three weeks after signing for the club, Barton scored his first goal for the club, in a 2–2 draw against Bury. He finished the season with 3 goals in 22 League games.
Barton was named in a Northern Ireland squad in September 2010, having previous been named to the under 21s team, qualifying for the country through his parents. He withdrew from the squad the day after its announcement, however, rather than lose eligibility for the England team by playing in a competitive international. On 12 November 2010 Barton was called up for Northern Ireland's friendly against Morocco after a number of withdrawals, playing the full 90 minutes in the 1–1 draw on 17 November.
On 15 March 2011 more question marks over Barton's international status were raised when he was called up to Noel King's Republic of Ireland U21 squad for a friendly match against Portugal under-21s, making his debut appearance and playing the full 90 minutes for them in that game on 26 March 2011.
Stats according to
- As of 1 November 2014
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other[A]||Total|
|Preston North End||2008–09||Championship||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Crawley Town (loan)||2009–10||Conference||2||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||2||0|
|Preston North End Total||50||1||1||0||5||1||2||1||58||3|
|Coventry City||2012–13||League One||22||3||2||0||2||0||0||0||26||3|
|Fleetwood Town (loan)||2013–14||League Two||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Coventry City Total||40||3||4||0||2||0||1||0||47||3|
- A. ^ The "Other" column constitutes appearances and goals (including substitutes) in the Football League Trophy.
- Rollin, Glenda; Rollin, Jack, eds. (2012). Sky Sports Football Yearbook 2012–2013 (43rd ed.). London: Headline. p. 515. ISBN 978-0-7553-6356-8.
- "40. Adam Barton". Lancashire Evening Post. 9 July 2009. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Youth Duo Sign Pro Contracts". Preston North End FC. 15 December 2008. Archived from the original on 10 May 2014. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Crawley bring in three on loan". BBC Sport. 1 September 2009. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Five-star reserves". Lancashire Evening Post. 1 October 2009. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Ferguson to give youth a chance at Preston North End". BBC Sport. 8 April 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Preston 3–2 Scunthorpe". BBC News. 10 April 2010.
- "Preston duo ink new deals". Sky Sports. 4 August 2010. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Burnley 4–3 Preston". BBC News. 11 September 2010.
- "Transfer News: McCarthy considers move for Preston midfielder". Daily Mirror. 10 April 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Rovers eye Barton move". Sky Sports. 19 July 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Barton a key figure – Brown". Sky Sports. 21 July 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Match Report: Southampton 2 – 1 Preston". BBC Sport. 21 September 2011. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Horror injury blow for Barton". Sky Sports. 26 February 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Boss backs Barton recovery". Sky Sports. 27 February 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Taundry feels sorry for Barton". Sky Sports. 27 February 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Barton undergoes successful op". Sky Sports. 28 February 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Coventry City: Midfielder Barton signs from Preston North End". BBC Sport. 6 August 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Yeovil 1 Coventry City 1". Coventry Telegraph. 19 August 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Coventry 2–2 Bury". BBC Sport. 25 August 2012. Retrieved 10 May 2014.
- "Adam Barton completes Fleetwood loan". Coventry City FC. 27 March 2014.
- BBC report on withdrawal from NI squad
- "Northern Ireland 1–1 Morocco". BBC News. 17 November 2010.
- "Quirke and Barton called up to Ireland Under-21s". RTÉ.
- "Late goals shade it for Portugal U21s". The Football Association of Ireland. 26 March 2011. Retrieved 27 March 2011.
- Adam Barton career stats at Soccerbase