|Full name||Adam Cooney|
|Date of birth||30 September 1985|
|Original team||West Adelaide (SANFL)|
|Draft||#1 (PP), 2003 National Draft|
|Height/Weight||186 cm / 87 kg|
|Representative team honours|
|2008||Dream Team||1 (0)|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 2014 season.
Adam Cooney (born 30 September 1985) is a professional Australian rules footballer in the Australian Football League. Formerly playing for the Western Bulldogs, he was traded to the Essendon Football Club after the 2014 season. He won the 2008 Brownlow Medal with 24 votes, becoming the 10th Western Bulldogs player to win the award.
Cooney attended Aberfoyle Park High School and played for the Flagstaff Hill Football Club. He was recruited from West Adelaide in the SANFL, with the number one pick overall in the 2003 National Draft as a priority pick.
Cooney is a pacey player who can kick goals on the run from outside the 50-metre arc as well as snap kicks near the goal posts. He had a vastly improved 2005 season: he played every game, averaged 20 possessions a game and kicked 21 goals. He was ranked second for clearances in the Bulldogs team.
Cooney progressed to the elite of the competition, four seasons after being selected as the number one draft pick. His threat as a goalkicking midfielder grew as he pushed into the upper bracket of ball winners, while maintaining his average of more than a goal per game and also directly assisting in many scores.
Cooney was rewarded for a strong 2008 season by winning the Brownlow Medal. He polled 24 votes, beating Brisbane Lions midfielder Simon Black by one vote. Cooney is the first No. 1 draft pick (and the first player taken as a priority draft pick) to win the award.
On 16 October 2014, Cooney was traded to the Essendon Football Club with pick 37 sent to the Western Bulldogs.
On 24 October 2009, Cooney married Haylea McCann. He proposed to her with a burger ring, showing the humour of the man.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2014 season
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
Honours and achievements
|Brownlow Medal votes|
|Green / Bold = Won|
- Brownlow Medal: 2008
- All-Australian: 2008
- Dream Team Representative Honours in AFL Hall of Fame Tribute Match: 2008
- AFL Rising Star Nominee: 2004 (Round 21)
- Number 1 AFL Draft Pick: 2003
- "2003 Draft Full List". AFL.com.au. 2003-11-25. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- "Cooney a shock Brownlow winner". FoxSports.com.au. 2008-09-22. Retrieved 2008-09-22.
- "Mum...a non-believer". AAP. 2008-09-23. Retrieved 2008-11-25.
- Moo, Kathpin (24 October 2009). "Adam Cooney marries childhood sweetheart, Haylea MacCann". Sunday Mail. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- Adam Cooney's player profile at AFL Tables
- Adam Cooney's profile on the official website of the Western Bulldogs
- Adam Cooney's statistics from AFL Tables
|Awards and achievements|
|Number one overall pick in AFL draft
Gary Ablett, Jr.
|This Australian rules football biography of a person born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|