El-Abd in 2011
|Full name||Adam Mohamad El-Abd|
|Date of birth||11 September 1984|
|Place of birth||Brighton, England|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Bury (on loan from Bristol City)|
|1994–2003||Brighton & Hove Albion|
|2003–2014||Brighton & Hove Albion||300||(5)|
|2003||→ Bognor Regis Town (loan)||2||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 13:52, 19 May 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Adam Mohamad El-Abd (born 11 September 1984) is a professional footballer who plays for Bury on loan from Bristol City and the Egypt national team as a defender. El-Abd previously played for Brighton & Hove Albion for 11 years.
Early and personal life
Born in Brighton, East Sussex, to an Egyptian father and a British mother, El-Abd holds dual-nationality. His older brother Joe plays professional Rugby Union and is currently playing for Oyonnax in France. His younger brother Sami was an apprentice at Brighton, before moving to non-league football with Crawley Town, Hayes & Yeading, and currently Whitehawk.
El-Abd joined Brighton's youth department when he was ten and was granted a scholarship there at 16. He signed his first professional contract of two-and-a-half years with Brighton & Hove Albion at the age of 19. He made his full league début for the club in the 2-1 win at Notts County in November 2003. He has since been a regular in the first team squad and can play either in defence at right-back or centre-half, or in a more defensive midfield type role.
In November El-Abd made his 250th appearance for the club in a 0-0 draw at Southampton.
El-Abd hit the milestone of 250 league appearances for Brighton and Hove Albion on 7 March 2012, named Man of the Match for that game, a 2-2 draw with Cardiff City. El-Abd made his 300th and final league appearance for Brighton coming on as a 90th minute substitute against Birmingham City on 11 January 2014.
On 15 May 2012, and for the first time, Egypt national team coach Bob Bradley included El-Abd in the squad for friendly games against Cameroon, Togo, and Senegal, and also against Mozambique in a FIFA World Cup Qualifier.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Mainstream Publishing. p. 136. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- Ligament damage following Huddersfield match, March 2008: from an article at the 4TheGame.com website. Retrieved on March 4, 2008
- El-Abd Signs New Deal Brighton & Hove Albion F.C., 5 June 2008. Retrieved 5 June 2008
- "El-Abd leaves Albion". The Argus. 16 January 2014. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "El-Abd Walks Like an Egyptian!": an interview at the EgyptianPlayers.com website. Retrieved on March 4, 2008.
- "Brighton's Adam El-Abd included in Egypt's squad". Retrieved on May 15, 2012.