|Member of the Washington Senate
from the 37th district
|Succeeded by||Pramila Jayapal|
|Born||Adam Daniel Kline
October 27, 1944
Red Bank, New Jersey
|Spouse(s)||Laura Gene Middaugh|
Adam Daniel Kline (born October 27, 1944) was the State Senator for Washington's 37th district, comprising part of South Seattle, six precincts in Renton and two in Tukwila. He served the 37th District for more than 14 years. He chaired the Senate Judiciary Committee, and was a member of the Government Operations and Elections Committee and the Rules Committee.
Before entering law school, Kline worked as a merchant seaman and as a newspaper reporter. He is a veteran of the Civil Rights Movement. He worked for SNCC in Greenwood, Mississippi, during the 1964 Freedom Summer and, after law school, returned to Greenwood in 1972 to work for North Mississippi Rural Legal Services.
In January 2010, Kline sponsored SB 6396 which attempted to ban assault rifles and pistols. In February 2013, Kline sponsored SB 5737 which would allow police to conduct warrantless searches in the homes of gun owners once per year, with a punishment of up to one year in jail for citizens who did not comply. Kline later stated he had not closely read the bill and had made a mistake. Media reports noted the inspection provision was present in both Kline's SB 6396 (2010) and earlier SB 5475 (2005) bills as written by the Brady Campaign and the San Francisco-based Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
Kline practiced law 32 years before retiring in 2004 to work for the Laborers Union. He was a cooperating attorney with the ACLU and is active with NARAL and Washington Conservation Voters.
He is married to Laura Gene (Genie) Middaugh, who serves as a judge on the King County Superior Court.
- Sen. Adam Kline (D-WA 37th District)
- Veteran of the Civil Rights Movement: Adam Kline on crmvet.org, July 24, 2001. Accessed online 24 May 2007.
- Pro-gun activists show up en masse, The Olympian, January 27, 2010
- Proposed ban on some assault weapons gets mixed reviews, The Spokesman-Review, January 26, 2010
- Wash. state lawmakers debating assault weapons ban, KING 5 News, January 26, 2010
- Misstep in gun bill could defeat the effort, Seattle Times, February 17, 2013
- Dems keep shooting themselves in foot, Seattle Times, February 28, 2013