Adam Świętołdycz Kisiel (Cyrillic: Адам Святольдич Кисіль, 1580 or 1600-1653) was the Voivode of Kiev (1649-1653) and castellan or voivode of Czernihów (1639-1646). He was the last Orthodox senator of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Kisiel has become better known for his mediation during the Khmelnytsky Uprising.
Kisiel was born in a village of Nyzkynychi in Volyn (today's Ivanychi Raion, Volyn Oblast) into an old Polonized Ukrainian noble family. He was a descendant of Vaišvilkas. His father was Grzegorz Kisiel (Hryhoriy Hnivoshovych Kisiel-Nyzkynycki) and mother - Tereza Ivanycka. Presumably one of his early ancestors was Lazar Brayevych around 1456, the owner of Norynsk near Ovruch and Ivnytsya near Zhytomyr. Lazar Brayevych was also a subject of the Kievan Prince Semen Olelkovych. The Volhynian branch, however, was founded by a certain Olekhn Kisiel who was married to some Nemyarychivna from Kiev. Supposedly Olekhn Kisiel received his estates in Volyn for his service to Švitrigaila also sometime in the mid-15th century. The great grandfather of Adam Kisiel Tykhno Mykytovych was a castle judge of Volodymyr and perished during the Livonian wars.
Kisiel was baptized into the Eastern Orthodox faith and educated in Zamojski Academy in spirit of humanism and tolerance. Kisiel persuaded king Władysław IV Vasa to reinstate the Orthodox hierarchy and he acted as an intermediary between the Royal Court, General Sejm, and Cossacks.
During the Khmelnytsky Uprising he was one of the most prominent members of the negotiations and pro-Cossack factions among the szlachta. In the very beginning of the Uprising he sent an Eastern Orthodox monk, Petroni Łaska, to try to calm down the Cossacks and begin negotiations. The Sejm resolution of 22 July 1648 chose him, Aleksander Sielski, podkomorzy poznański, Franicszek Dubrawski, podkomorzy przemyski and Teodor Obuchowicz, podkomorzy mozyrski, to negotiate with Khmelnytsky. The negotiations ended in failure by February 1649.
Janusz Tyszkiewicz Łohojski
Voivode of Kiev
Stanisław "Rewera" Potocki
- АДАМ КИСІЛЬ at litopys.org.ua
- АДАМА КИСІЛЬ at www.art.lutsk.ua
- Antoni Mironowicz, Sylwester Kossow - biskup białoruski, metropolita kijowski (METROPOLITA KIJOWSKI)
- Kosman, Marceli (1996). Na tropach bohaterów "Trylogii". Warszawa: Książka i Wiedza. p. 33. ISBN 83-05-12833-4.
- Davies, Norman (1982). God's Playground: A History of Poland. Columbia University Press. p. 177. ISBN 0-231-05351-7.
- Adam Boniecki (1907). Herbarz polski. Wiadomości historyczno-genealogiczne o rodach szlacheckich. Part 1: Vol. 10 - Kęstowscy-Komorowscy. Gebethner i Wolff. p. 94.