Adam on top of the infamous Casino De Madrid
10 November 1981 |
Melba High Technology School (1993-1996)
Hyatt Hotel Working Apprentice (1996–1999)Progressive Cuisine (Self Taught)
|Cooking style||Progressive Cuisine|
Adam Melonas (born on 10 November 1981 in Canberra, Australia) is an Australian chef of Greek heritage. He currently works as Head Chef in Charge of the Lab in the Progressive Cuisine style of cooking.
After two years as Chef de Cuisine at the Sunbar Restaurant and Lounge in Brisbane, Australia, Melonas moved to Dubai and worked as Chef de Cuisine at the Amwaj restaurant, in the Shangri-La Hotel, Dubai for the next year. During his tenure, it gained accolades from What's On Magazine two years in a row (“Dubai’s Best New restaurant" - May 2005 and “Best Seafood Fine dining” - March 2006).
Taking the opportunity of an internal transfer, Adam then moved to Shanghai, China where he was Head Chef at the restaurant Jade on 36 in the Pudong Shangri-La hotel, this position was under his mentor Chef Paul Pairet. Jade on 36 was voted amongst the "Top 50 best restaurants in the world" by Condé Nast.
He then returned to Dubai to work at the Al Mahara restaurant in the Burj al Arab hotel, Dubai. The restaurant has been voted Number 23 - Best Restaurant in the World, and Number 18 - Top Hotel Restaurant in the World.
He then moved to Spain Paco Roncero as Head Chef in Charge of the Laboratory at the 2 Michelin Star La Terraza del Casino at the Casino de Madrid. The restaurant was awarded the second Michelin star on 25 November 2009.
After 2 years of planning and research involving sensory scientists from all over the world, Melonas is planning open a sensory dining restaurant in Midtown Manhattan. Although in the process a ground breaking role came up with the potential to become a part of the solution to the growing epidemic of Obesity and Diabetes in America. Melonas then partnered with an American business man to create a Consumer Packaged goods company to tackle the issue head on. The company will be launching Nationally in the US June 2012.
- BBC History Magazine Documentary about Hannibal - On Hannibal's Trail - Barcelona, Spain - (September 2009)
- Recruitment Judge for television My Restaurant Rules - Brisbane, Australia - (2001)
- Guest Chef on Channel 9's Today show - Australia - (2001)
- Guest Celebrity Chef on Channel 10's MasterChef - Australia - (2010)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
- Unreal Official Website
- Official Website - Madrid Lab
- The art of kitchen science - 3 November 2009 - The Age
- Adam Melonas - Friend Of Burch & Purchese - 28 June 2009 - News Limited
- Know your ingredients for best cooking results - 11 May 2009
- Adam Melonas an Aussie chef at the cutting edge with El Bulli - 9 February 2009 - News Limited
- Second helpings: Dining in Dubai - 17 July 2005 - The Independent
- Recipe - Dubai Recipe: Salt-Crusted Baby Hammour
- Recipe - Venison fillet with cauliflower and blue cheese gnocchi, exotic mushrooms and bordelaise jus
- Wine Flavour Profiling - How do different wines taste?