Rutherford has a degree in evolutionary biology and a Ph.D. in the genetics of the eye.
Television and radio
Rutherford presented the BBC4 series 'The Gene Code' in April 2011 which explored the consequences of the decoding of the human genome. He also presented 'The Cell' in 2009 a three-part documentary which chronicled the history of the discovery of cells. Rutherford has also appeared on Radio 4 and spoke at two dates in the 2011 'The Infinite Monkey Cage' science tour with Professor Brian Cox, Comedian Robin Ince, Professor Steve Jones and Dr Ben Goldacre. In the 2011-2012 series of BBC Horizon he presented the episode "Playing God" about the latest breakthroughs in genetic engineering. Since 2013 he has been the regular presenter of the BBC Radio 4 weekly programme "Inside Science" 
- "BBC4 programmes –The Gene Code". Archived from the original on 29 April 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- "BBC4 programmes –The Cell". Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- Wilson, Benji (2009-08-12). "The Cell (BBC Four): TV Review – Telegraph". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- "Robin Ince". Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- "BBC Two - Horizon, 2011-2012, Playing God". Retrieved 2011-05-18.