Adam Warren (baseball)
Warren with the New York Yankees
New York Yankees – No. 43
August 25, 1987 |
|June 29, 2012 for the New York Yankees|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||3.47|
Adam Parrish Warren (born August 25, 1987) is a Major League Baseball (MLB) pitcher for the New York Yankees. He made his MLB debut with the Yankees on June 29, 2012. Before beginning his professional career, Warren pitched in college baseball for the North Carolina Tar Heels.
Warren attended New Bern High School and the University of North Carolina, where he played college baseball for the North Carolina Tar Heels baseball team in the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). As a sophomore, in 2007, Warren had a 12-0 win–loss record with a 2.17 earned run average (ERA) in 15 appearances. In the summer of 2007, he played collegiate summer baseball in the Cape Cod Baseball League for the Brewster Whitecaps. As a junior, he pitched to a 9-2 record with a 4.23 ERA in 18 games started.
Warren took classes in the Kenan-Flagler Business School, and was named to the All-ACC Academic Honor Roll in consecutive seasons. He was also named to ESPN's Academic All-America Third Team in 2009. He graduated with a 3.36 grade point average.
After Warren's senior season, Warren was drafted in the fourth round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft by the New York Yankees, with the 136th overall selection. Warren signed with the Yankees, and made his professional debut that season with the Staten Island Yankees of the Class A-Short Season New York - Penn League.
Warren started the 2010 season with the Tampa Yankees of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League, where he went 7-5 with a 2.22 ERA in 15 starts, before he was promoted to the Trenton Thunder of the Class AA Eastern League. On August 17, 2010, while pitching for the Thunder, Warren set a franchise record by striking out 15 batters in one game. He was named the Eastern League Pitcher of the Week for the performance. In 2011, pitching for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees of the Class AAA International League, Warren was named to the 24th Triple-A All-Star Game.
Warren made his Major league debut for the Yankees on June 29, replacing an injured CC Sabathia in the Yankees' starting rotation. Warren gave up 6 runs in 2 1/3 innings in his first start versus the Chicago White Sox, highlighted by a Gordon Beckham two-run double in the top of the 2nd inning and a solo home run to Paul Konerko to lead off the top of the 3rd inning. He was relieved by David Phelps in the top of the 3rd, and would receive a no-decision as the Yankees lost the game 14–7. Warren was sent back down to Triple-A the very next day.
Warren was called up to the Yankees on September 1, 2012 when the big league rosters expanded.
On May 13, 2013, Warren got his first career save after pitching 4 scoreless innings of relief in a 7-0 win against the Cleveland Indians. He was optioned to Triple-A on June 14, 2013 after throwing 6 scoreless innings in the Yankees' 3–2 18-inning loss against the Oakland Athletics on the previous day.
Warren is married to his wife, Kristen.
- "Warren on the move | warren, move, triple - BASEBALL - Local News, Weather and Breaking Stories in North Carolina - Sun Journal". newbernsj.com. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- "Q&A With Adam Warren - University of North Carolina Tar Heels Official Athletic Site". Tarheelblue.com. March 28, 2008. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- Danny Wild / MLB.com (July 17, 2009). "Article | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- Swartz, John (June 26, 2007). "UNC's Warren to play in Cape Cod League this summer | warren, year, season - Sports - Local News, Weather and Breaking Stories in North Carolina - Sun Journal". newbernsj.com. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- Jess Huffman (June 8, 2009). "On the clock | warren, first, draft - Sports - Local News, Weather and Breaking Stories in North Carolina - Sun Journal". newbernsj.com. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- Wild, Danny. "Warren thunders to strikeout record | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- Wild, Danny. "Warren thunders to strikeout record". Web.minorleaguebaseball.com. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- "Warren Named EL Pitcher of the Week". Oursportscentral.com. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- "Pitcher Warren helps lift IL stars". The Times Leader. July 17, 2011. Retrieved July 25, 2011.
- "Yankees notebook: Club adds 6 Triple-A call-ups". lohud.com.
- Cacciola, Scott (April 4, 2013). "A Long Relief Stint Helps the Yankees". The New York Times. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- North Carolina Tar Heels bio