Brindavan Nagar Main Road, Adambakkam
|Elevation||7 m (23 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||44 - 225, 233, 234|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Chennai South|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Saidapet|
Adambakkam is a neighbourhood in Chennai, a city located on the east coast of South India. It is a thickly populated area close to the St. Thomas Mount Railway Station. Adambakkam is surrounded by Alandur, Palavanthangal, Nanganallur, Vanuvampet, Puzhuthivakkam, Velachery and Guindy. Before October 2011, one part of Adambakkam used to come under Chennai Corporation while the other under Alandur Municipality. From October 2011, the entire area was merged with Chennai Corporation. Upon completion of the MRTS extension line, the neighbourhood will be served by Adambakkam railway station.
Adambakkam is located at  It has an average elevation of 7 metres (26 feet)..
Adambakkam has a population with diverse cultures where Hindus, Muslims and Christians co-exist. Prominent Hindu temples are the famous Pazhandi Amman temple near Mount railway station, Sundara Vinayagar Temple in NGO COLONY, Devi Nagamuthu Mariamman temple in EB Colony, Lord Subramanya temple in Brindavan Nagar, Bhuvaneshwari Amman temple in Andal Nagar and Nandeeswarar temple near St. Thomas Mount railway station. Viswaroopa Sarvamangala Shaneeswara Bhagawan Sannidhi is located inside Devi Nagamuthu Mariamman temple. Prominent Mosque is the Masthan Gori Masjid behind Adambakkam police station. Prominent Church is the St. Mark's Church in Brindavan Nagar.
Adambakkam has a dedicated MTC Bus Depot close to Officers Colony in City Link Main Road and is fully functional. The state transport department uses this depot to station, maintain & refuel most of its buses serving nearby areas. This depot is increasingly becoming the prominent pickup hub for college buses, IT and other companies offering transport facilities. The residents of Adambakkam are also served by the following bus routes:
Brindavan Nagar Main Road and NGO Colony
- M9M (AG's Colony-T.Nagar)
- 9M (AG's Colony-High Court)
- M51P (Puzhuthivakkam-High Court)
- 554A (Puzhuthivakkam-Sriperumbudur)
- M51R (Puzhuthivakkam-T.Nagar)
- M17P (Puzhuthivakkam-Central)
- M70V (Puzhuthivakkam-Ambattur O.T.)
- 118P (Puzhuthivakkam-Guduvanchery)
- M21S (NGO Colony-High Court)
- S13 (Guindy - Velachery) Small Bus Service.
Mount Medavakkam Main Road (Vellalar Street)
- M14 (NGO Colony-Medavakkam Koot Road)
- M14 EXTN (Saidapet-Madambakkam Temple)
- M11 (Saidapet-East Tambaram)
- B51 (T.Nagar-East Tambaram)
- 18D (Broadway-Keelkattalai)
- 51S (Saidapet-East Tambaram)
- M51S (T.Nagar-Sunnambu Kolathur)
- 52K (Broadway-Keelkattalai)
- 51M (T.Nagar-Madipakkam)
- 51N (T.Nagar-Moovarasanpet)
- M154B (Poonamallee-Nanganallur)
- 5R (Saidapet-Velachery)
- M14A (Velachery-Medavakkam Koot Road via N.G.O Colony)
The St. Thomas Mount Railway Station between Alandur and Adambakkam, part of the Chennai suburban railway serves the city's railway commuters. The phase II extension of the elevated Mass Rapid Transit System (MRTS) railway project is progressing at full pace and Adambakkam Station is expected to be built in Medavakkam main road junction near Vanuvampet. The work on the Rs.495.74 crore project is in progress and is expected to be completed by December 2012. Mount subway and Thillai Ganga Nagar subway connects Adambakkam with GST Road. The Kakkan Bridge connects Ramakrishnapuram and Brindavan Nagar.
Summary of Transport facilities in Adambakkam:
- MTC services via Medavakkam Main Road from all major areas to Nanganallur, Ullagaram, Madipakkam, Keelkattalai, Nanmangalam, Kovilambakkam, Medavakkam Koot Road
- MTC services via Brindavan Nagar from all major areas to Puzhuthivakkam
- Beach-Tambaram-Chengalpattu Suburban train service
- MRTS extension from Velachery to Puzhuthivakkam, Adambakkam and St.Thomas Mount (Under construction)
- Metro Rail from Central to St.Thomas Mount via Koyambedu (Under construction)
||St. Thomas Mount / GST Road / Airport||Alandur||Guindy|
|Nanganallur / Thillai Ganga Nagar||Velachery|
|Keelkattalai||Vanuvampet / Ullagaram / Puzhuthivakkam||Madipakkam|
- "Expanded Chennai Corporationto be divided into 3 regions". The Hindu. 25 November 2011. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Adambakkam
- "Outer Ring Road phase I to be over next year". The Hindu. 26 August 2011. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Aloysius Xavier Lopez (18 November 2011). "MRTS to Adambakkam likely by mid-2012". The Hindu. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adambakkam.|
In the News
- Mini Bus Services
- Project Green Hands Nursery in EB Colony-Isha Foundation
- Shri Narendra Modi (Gujarat CM)-DAV School Function