Foot pedals can be raised, or replaced with hand-controlled devices. Automotive handicap hand controls make it possible to adjust the acceleration as well as apply the brakes, in a similar way regular foot pedals, The hand controls are being tested using SAE guidelines for Automotive Adaptive Driver Controls, which mandates weather exposure, vibration, and cycle testing.
Generally, the more limiting the disability, the more expensive the adaptation needed for the vehicle. Financial assistance is available through some organizations, such as Motability in the United Kingdom, which requires a contribution by the prospective vehicle owner. Motability makes vehicles available for purchase or lease. When an employee with a disability requires an adapted car for work use, the employee does not have to pay for a "reasonable adjustment" in the United Kingdom; if the employer is unable to pay the cost, assistance is offered by government programs.
A challenge for mobility-impaired drivers is renting a vehicle when they travel. Organizations that specialize in adaptive tourism can assist in finding a vehicle, when possible. In New Zealand, Enable Tourism is an organization that helps drivers with disabilities to locate car rentals offering adapted cars or vans. In France, adapted cars with hand-controls are available from leading car rental businesses, however, it is advisable for drivers with disabilities to reserve a car well in advance of travelling.
- Automatic gearbox
- Cars for wheelchair users
- Disabled parking permit
- GO technologies
- ISO/IEC 17025
- Modified car
- Platform lift
- Vehicle modification
- Wheelchair accessible van
- Wheelchair lift
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Disabled parking.|
- Less than four blog Amputee Social Network
- Veigel hand controls
- Paraplegia News Sept 2009. "Hand control testers needed" by Gale Cengage
- Dimond, Bridget C. (2009). Legal Aspects of Physiotherapy. John Wiley & Sons. p. 263. ISBN 9781405176156.
- Dimond, Bridget C. (2011). Legal Aspects of Occupational Therapy. John Wiley & Sons. pp. n.p. ISBN 9781444348163.
- Disability Rights Commission (2004). Disability Discrimination Act 1995: Code of Practice ; Employment and Occupation. The Stationery Office. p. 5. ISBN 9780117034198.
- Harper, Laura and Tony Mudd, Paul Whitfield (2002). Rough Guide to New Zealand 3. Rough Guides. p. 69. ISBN 9781858288963.
- Dodd, Jan (2004). Rough Guide to the Dordogne the Lot 2. Rough Guides. p. 57. ISBN 9781843532484.
|Look up stowing in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|