|Location||Morphettville Racecourse, South Australia|
|Race type||Thoroughbred - Flat racing|
|Sponsor||Adelaide Casino (2013)|
|Distance||3200 metres (~2 miles)|
|Qualification||3YO and up|
The Adelaide Cup is a SAJC Group 2 Thoroughbred horse race held in South Australia. It is handicap race run over 3,200 metres (two miles) at Morphettville Racecourse in Adelaide Australia. Total prize money for the race is A$400,000.
The cup is held on the second Monday of March since March 2006. Before 2006 it was held in May. It was first run in 1864, just three years after the Melbourne Cup commenced. The day received public holiday status in 1973 and has become a major social event in South Australia.
The first Adelaide Cup was raced 21 April 1864 at Thebarton Racecourse which is located today in Mile End. The race had stakes of 500 sovereigns with an additional sweep of 50 sovereigns to induce owners from other colonies to compete in the race. Victoria's P. Dowling's Falcon carried 10 stone 1 pound and ridden by jockey J.Morrison won the race in a time of 3:50.50. A crowd of 7,000 or 8,000 was present for the event.
The race was run at as a Weight for Age over two miles from 1864–68. In 1869, still at Thebarton Racecourse, it was run as a handicap race over two miles. There was no Cup raced in 1870 or 1871. The Cup resumed in 1872 and was run at "The Old Course" (Victoria Park Racecourse) over two miles with a smaller stake of 200 sovereigns with an additional sweep of 15 sovereigns. In 1876 the race was held at Morphettville Racecourse. In 1884 the race was run over 1⅝ miles (~2,600 metres), as was every race held until 1941.
Race in 1885 was held at Flemington, Victoria due to the Totalizator Repeal Act 1883 and was not held for three more years. In 1889 running of the Cup resumed at Morphettville when Sir Richard Baker and A. O. Whitington took over the course.
In 1980 due to renovation of Morphettville Racecourse the race was run at Victoria Park Racecourse and in 2000 the Cup race day was abandoned due to rain and was rescheduled later and also run at Victoria Park.
The highest ever Cup attendance was in 1951 when 50,000 spectators attended.
The race was a Principal Race from 1864 until 1979 and a Group 1 race from 1979 until 2006. The race was downgraded from Group 1 to Group 2 status following a decision by the Australian Pattern Committee in 2007.
- "Holidays: Adelaide Cup in Australia". Time and Date. 2013. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "SOUTH AUSTRALIAN JOCKEY CLUB'S AUTUMN MEETING". South Australian Register, Adelaide (Trove Digitized Newspapers). 22 April 1864. p. 2 column 8. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Official Race results Second race. Adelaide Cup.". South Australian Register, Adelaide (Trove Digitized Newspapers). 22 April 1864. p. 3 column 1. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "The Adelaide Cup-Day. The History of the Cup". South Australian Register, Adelaide (Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia). 15 May 1884. p. 7 column 3. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- "Winners and Past Results for the Adelaide Cup". Pro Group Racing Australia. 2012.
- G. K. Soward (9 May 1933). "The Adelaide Cup - History Of A Great Event". The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1931 - 1954) (Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia). p. 8 column 7. Retrieved 24 June 2012.
- "SAJC History". South Australian Jockey Club. 2012. Retrieved 7 March 2013.
- 2014 result
- 2013 result
- 2012 result
- 2011 result
- 2010 result
- 2009 result
- 2008 result
- 2007 result
- 2006 result
- 2005 result
- 2004 result