Adelaide Parklands Terminal
|Adelaide Parklands Terminal|
|Address||Richmond Road, Keswick
South Australia, Australia
|Parking||No charge, no time limit|
|Owned by||Great Southern Rail|
The Adelaide Parklands Terminal is the only interstate railway station in Adelaide, South Australia. It is 3 km from the city centre, adjacent to the suburb of Keswick and within the southern part of the West Parklands.
The terminal was built in 1984 as a dedicated long-haul passenger standard gauge station when Adelaide Railway Station was redeveloped for 1600-mm gauge suburban trains only - Adelaide Station is a terminus, so any through trains must reverse, easier for suburban railcars than for locomotive-hauled long-distance trains.
Since 1990 there have been no regional rail passenger services in South Australia.
Adelaide is the only city in the world where passengers can catch trains on three distinct transcontinental routes, The Ghan to Alice Springs and Darwin, and the Indian Pacific to Sydney and Perth, and The Overland to Melbourne.
In June 2008 The station was renamed Adelaide Parklands Terminal, md
 following Stage One of a plan to "improve guest comfort and amenity, traffic and passenger movement, food and retail facilities, image, identity, presentation and sustainability". Tourism Minister Jane Lomax-Smith officially opened the Terminal on 6 August 2008.
The station can be accessed by car, by bus from Richmond Road, or by rail from Keswick railway station, a 200-metre walk across an overpass and along a winding road. Access from Richmond Road requires a walk of about 100 metres along much of the same road. Skylink Adelaide operate a shuttle bus service between the City, the Terminal and the Airport.
- Suburbs of the City of West Torrens
- The Ghan
- The Indian Pacific
- The Southern Spirit
- Website for Great Southern Rail
- "Arriving at the Station". www.gsr.com.au. Archived from the original on 2008-04-05. Retrieved 2008-06-23.
- "New name for interstate rail terminal". ABC News, 5 August 2008. Retrieved 7 March 2011.
- ATOMIQ Design Group, Architects of the Adelaide Parklands Interstate Rail Terminal
- Adelaide Parklands Rail Terminal launched, Jane Lomax-Smith press release
- Skylink Adelaide, Shuttle bus timetable
Media related to Adelaide Parklands Terminal at Wikimedia Commons