Akinnuoye-Agbaje at the Thor: The Dark World premiere, October 2013
22 August 1967 |
Islington, London, England, UK
|Occupation||Actor, fashion model, writer, director, producer|
|Years active||1993 – present|
Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (/ /; born 22 August 1967) is a British actor and former fashion model, best known for his roles as Lock-Nah in The Mummy Returns, Nykwana Wombosi in The Bourne Identity, Mr. Eko on Lost and Simon Adebisi on Oz.
Early life and career
Akinnuoye-Agbaje was born in Islington, London. His parents are Nigerian, of Yoruba origin. He has a law degree from King's College London and a Masters in Law from the University of London. He is fluent in several foreign languages including Yoruba, Italian, and Swahili. He can "get along" in a few other languages, including French.
His best known acting roles have been as the imposing convict Simon Adebisi in the 1990s HBO prison series Oz, and as Mr. Eko on ABC's survivor drama Lost. He was also in an episode of New York Undercover. He has numerous film credits since he began acting in 1994 and has appeared in many top films, including The Bourne Identity, in which he played a deposed African dictator, Hitu the police officer in Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls, Lock-Nah in The Mummy Returns, and Heavy Duty in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. In 2009, Akinnuoye-Agbaje told MTV that he was in talks with Marvel Studios to play the superhero Black Panther in a proposed film of the same name. When asked, the actor replied “...it’s about time we have a black superhero, isn’t it? He’s from a fictional village in Africa and the timing is so right for that kind of character to come through… And while I’m in my prime, this is the time. We’ve got [U.S. President Barack] Obama, now we need something onscreen to represent, so… ‘Panther,’ man I would love to see that happen [...] I think it’s all about campaigning, I’m going to keep knocking on their door.”
Akinnuoye-Agbaje has also stated that he will be directing a film about his life story. More recently, he guest starred in the second episode of season 8 of Monk, and played Derek Jameson in the 2011 film The Thing. He portrayed Kurse in the Marvel Studios film Thor: The Dark World. He will portray Joseph Cinqué in Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb.
Akinnuoye-Agbaje asked to be written off Lost, citing a desire to return to London after his parents' recent passing and to direct a film there.
|1995||Delta of Venus||The Clairvoyant|
|1995||Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls||Hitu|
|1996||The Deadly Voyage||Emmaneul|
|2000||Enslavement: The True Story of Fanny Kemble||Joe|
|2001||The Mummy Returns||Lock-Nah|
|2002||Bourne Identity, TheThe Bourne Identity||Nykwana Wombosi|
|2005||Mistress of Spices, TheThe Mistress of Spices||Kwesi|
|2005||On the One (Preaching to the Choir)||Bull Sharky|
|2005||Get Rich or Die Tryin'||Majestic|
|2009||G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra||Heavy Duty|
|2011||Killer Elite||The Agent|
|2011||Thing, TheThe Thing||Derek Jameson|
|2012||Best Laid Plans||Joseph|
|2013||Bullet to the Head||Morel|
|2013||Thor: The Dark World||Algrim / Kurse|
|2013||The Inevitable Defeat of Mister & Pete||Pike|
|2014||Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb||Joseph Cinqué|
|1995||New York Undercover||Cliff Ramsey|
|1997||20,000 Leagues Under the Sea||Cabe Attucks|
|2011||Strike Back: Project Dawn|
- "You Don't Love Me (No, No, No)" – Dawn Penn (1994)
- "Love No Limit" – Mary J. Blige (1993)
- "I Want It All Night Long" – Heather Hunter (1993)
- "Giving Him Something He Can Feel" – En Vogue (1992)
- "Jealousy" – Pet Shop Boys (1991)
- "Talk It Over" – Grayson Hugh (1989)
- "Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje Joins Universal's Thing Prequel". DreadCentral.
- "'The Thing' Prequel Gains Some Muscle". BloodyDisgusting.
- McNary, Dave (2012-08-22). "Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje joins 'Thor: Dark World'". Variety. Archived from the original on 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- 60 SECONDS: Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje
- born to Nigerian parents ‘Lost’ in Hawaii, Part 2 – INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos
- Keck, William (2006-11-01). "Eko is a Monster Mash". USA Today.
Media related to Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje at Wikimedia Commons
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje at the Internet Movie Database
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje on Twitter
- Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje interview on the Tavis Smiley show