Adi Shankaracharya (film)
A scene from the film Adi Shankaracharya
|Directed by||G. V. Iyer|
|Produced by||G. V. Iyer
|Screenplay by||G. V. Iyer|
|Based on||Life of Adi Shankaracharya|
|Music by||M. Balamurali Krishna|
|Running time||136 minutes|
Adi Shankaracharya is a 1983 Indian film in Sanskrit language directed by G. V. Iyer. The film depicts the life and times of 8th century Hindu philosopher, Adi Shankara, who consolidated the doctrine of Advaita Vedanta (Non-dualism) in Hindu philosophy. It was the first film in India to be made in Sanskrit.
Cast and Crew
- Sarvadaman D. Banerjee as Adi Shankara.
- Sreenivasa Prabhu as Prajnaana.
- T.S. Nagabharana as Mrithyu.
- Bharat Bhuushan as Shivaguru.
- Manjunath Bhat as Padmapada.
- Gopal as Thotaka.
- V.R.K. Prasad as Hasthamalaka.
- M.V. Narayana Rao as Sureshwara.
- Gopinath Das as Govinda Bhagavathpada.
- L.V. Sharada Rao as Aryamba
- Leela Narayana Rao as Ubhaya Bharathi.
- Sreepathy Ballal as Kumarila Bhatta.
- G. V. Iyer as Veda Vyasa.
- Gopi as young Shankara.
- Radhakrishna as baby Shankara.
- Raghu Iyer as young Pranjana.
- Vijay Bharan as young Mrithyu.
- G.V.Shivanand as Guru.
- Gopalakrishna as Namboodiri
- Mallesh as Kapalika.
- Murgod as Chandala.
- Bala Subramanya as rich man.
- Manohar as Mama.
- G.S.Natraj as Vishnu.
- Ajay as Sathyakama.
- Mahesh Swamy as Boudha Guru.
- Purushotham as Boudha Bhikshu.
- Balu as Chiushka.
- Girish as Vidyananda.
- Veena Kamal as Jabali.
- Gayathri Balu as Amalaka Lady.
- Producer: G. V. Iyer.
- Director: G. V. Iyer.
- Music director: Dr. M. Balamurali Krishna.
- Art director: P. Krishna Murthy.
- Background score: B. V. Karanth.
- Screenplay: G. V. Iyer.
- Dialogue: Bannanje Govindacharya.
- Script (Sanskrit translation): N. Ranganatha Sharma.
- Film adviser: T.M.P Mahadevan.
- Production in charge: K. V. Sundarambai.
- 1983: National Film Award