Adirondack Scenic Railroad
|Adirondack Scenic Railroad|
|Saranac Lake Station|
|Built by||Mohawk and Malone Railway|
|Original gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|Preserved gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|Preserved era||1992 -|
|1913||New York Central takes over|
The Adirondack Scenic Railroad (reporting mark ADIX) (ASR) is a tourist railway located in the Adirondack Park that operates over trackage of the former New York Central Railroad between Utica and Lake Placid. The railroad is operated by the Adirondack Railroad Preservation Society, a not-for profit entity, with train crews composed largely of volunteers.
Between Utica and Remsen, ASR operates over trackage of the Mohawk, Adirondack & Northern Railway, part of the Genesee Valley Transportation Company. The Remsen-Lake Placid segment is owned by the state of New York and is designated as a multi-use corridor for rail traffic during the spring, summer and fall seasons and a snowmobile trail during the winter months.
During the operating season, passenger trains operate from Utica to Thendara and to Lake Placid. Historic stations have been restored in Holland Patent, Remsen, Saranac Lake, and Lake Placid. The line is not used for freight traffic.
The railroads plans to restore passenger operations over the entire Utica-Lake Placid corridor. While this vision is supported by several local communities (most notably Tupper Lake and the Next Stop Tupper Lake organization), opponents are calling for the removal of the tracks to allow creation of a rail trail.
The railroad was originally built by William Seward Webb as the Mohawk & Malone Railway, which was subsequently purchased by the New York Central. Tracks were dormant from 1980 until 1992 when restoration began with a short, 4-mile (6.4 km) section from Thendara to Minnehaha, New York. The section was approved and was demonstrated that year on Independence Day.
At the time, it was called the Adirondack Centennial Railroad. In 1994, after gaining popularity, it was renamed the Adirondack Scenic Railroad.
- Located in Remsen (village), New York this was a union station for the Utica and Black River Railroad and the New York Central Railroad.
- See remsendepot.com for more information.
- Kayuta Trestle
- Snow Junction
- Headquarters for the railroad and close to the tourist center of Old Forge.
- Carter Station
- Tupper Lake Station in Tupper Lake (village), New York
- Saranac Lake Union Depot in Saranac Lake, New York
- Lake Placid Station in Lake Placid, New York
- Winter sports center, best known as the two-time host of the Winter Olympics.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Adirondack Scenic Railroad.|
- Adirondack Scenic Railroad website
- History of the Railroad
- New York Railroads - History of the Adirondack Scenic Railroad
- Wikimapia - Saranac Lake to Lake Placid
- Wikimapia - Thendara to Utica