Administrative division codes of the People's Republic of China
|Administrative division codes of the People's Republic of China|
|North China (Division 1)|
|Northeast China (Area 2)|
|East China (Division 3)|
|South Central China (Division 4)|
|Southwest China (Division 5)|
|Northwest China (Division 6)|
|Taiwan (Division 7)|
|Hong Kong and Macau (Division 8)|
Administrative division codes of the People's Republic of China identify administrative divisions of the PRC at county level and above. They are published by the National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China with the latest version issued on October 31, 2011.
Reading from left to right, administrative division codes contain the following information:
- The first and second digits identify the highest level administrative division, which may be a province, autonomous region, municipality or Special Administrative Region (SAR).
- Digits three and four show summary data for the associated city, prefecture (地区 dìqū), autonomous prefecture, Mongolian league, municipal city district or county. Codes 01 - 20 and 51 - 70 identify provincial level cities, codes 21 - 50 represent prefectures, autonomous prefectures and Mongolian leagues.
- The fifth and sixth digits represent the county level division - city districts, county-level cities and the banner areas of Inner Mongolia. Codes 01 - 18 represent municipal districts or regions (autonomous prefectures and Mongolian leagues) under the jurisdiction of county-level cities. Codes 21 - 80 stand for counties and Mongolian banner areas while codes 81 - 99 represent county level cities directly administered by a province.
Division codes for statistic use
Division codes for statistic use consist of administrative division codes and another 6 digits, identify administrative divisions of the PRC at village level and above. For example, 542225 202 203, 542225 refets to Qonggyai County, 202 refers to Gyaimain Township and 203 refers to Bünsum Village.
- Administrative divisions of the People's Republic of China
- ISO 3166-2:CN
- OKATO, a somewhat similar numeric code system used in Russia
PRC National Standard GB/T 2260—1999
- "Latest county level and above administrative division codes (October 31, 2011) [最新县及县以上行政区划代码(截止2011年10月31日)]" (in Simplified Chinese). National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved May 29, 2012.
- Latest complete administrative division codes (2011)