|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
|Type||Wholly owned subsidiary|
|Key people||Henry Engelhardt (CEO)
Sue Longthorn (Managing Director)
Admiral, a trading name of EUI Limited, is a car insurance specialist which launched in January 1993. Its head offices are in Capital Tower, Cardiff, Wales. It also has offices in Swansea and Newport and Halifax, Nova Scotia. Admiral is a subsidiary of the Admiral Group along with its sister companies elephant.co.uk, Diamond Insurance and Bell Insurance.
The Admiral Group floated on the London Stock Exchange in September 2004, it is currently the only FTSE 100 listed company which has its headquarters in Wales. It employs more than 5,000 people and has more than 3 million customers. The company’s turnover was £2.19 billion in 2011.
Admiral traditionally specialised in providing car insurance for those who traditionally had higher premiums; younger drivers who lived in urban areas, primarily in London, the South East England and Scotland. However since the advent of price comparison sites, it has insured a far wider cross section of motorists.
In December 2005 it launched Admiral MultiCar, which enabled 2 or more people in the same household to insure their cars on one policy and get a discount on the overall price. Admiral advertises that this product is only available directly and not through price comparison sites.
Admiral has been listed in the Sunday Times Best Companies to Work For list every year since its inception. It has also been named in the Great Place to Work Institute’s list of Best Workplaces in the UK every year. It has been named Welsh Company of the year 3 times; in 1999, 2005 and 2009. It was also named Insurance Company of the Year by City AM.
In November 2012 Admiral were criticised by the Police and the BBC for penalising vehicle drivers who had opted to take an educational course on speed awareness in place of receiving penalty points on their licence. Whilst the Police did not treat these courses as a conviction, Admiral group companies had chosen to rate on these courses as statistics show that drivers who have completed a speed awareness course are more likely to be involved in an accident.
- "About Admiral". EUI Limited. 2013. Retrieved 30 March 2013.
- "Insurance firm creates 400 jobs". BBC News Online. 2008-06-25. Retrieved 2012-01-13.
- "Admiral reports record annual pre-tax profits of nearly £300m". BBC News Online. 2012-03-07. Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- CBE for man who brought Wales 2,500 jobs, 28 Apr 2008, Retrieved November 19, 2013
- Barry, Sion (2010-11-03). "Admiral is Insurance Company of the Year". Media Wales. Retrieved 2012-01-13.
- Emma, Forde (18 November 2012). "Car insurers start penalising speed awareness courses". BBC News. Retrieved 18 November 2012.