|Operating system||Mac OS and Microsoft Windows|
Seneca Inc. developed the original PageMill and SiteMill products. During open beta testing, Adobe acquired the company and rebranded the product with their own logo. Adobe released PageMill 1.0 in late 1995. It was considered revolutionary at the time, as it was the first HTML editor that was considered user friendly, cited as the "PageMaker of the WWW". This first version, however, was also criticized for lacking items such as a spell-checker and support for creating HTML tables. Adobe acquired Seneca in 1996.
Adobe PageMill 2.0, which was introduced in early 1997, corrected these issues with a package that, according to one review, "adds more features than I have fingers and toes… PageMill with its tables, frames, graphics, and support for form interfaces, makes it easy to lay out a page".
Adobe PageMill 3.0, released in early 1999, supported embedded font commands and a site-management feature. It was discontinued in February 2000, due to the acquisition and promotion of Adobe GoLive. A later patch, still available from Adobe, fixed a problem with FTP upload.
A major competitor to PageMill 2.0 was the popular HTML editor Macromedia Dreamweaver, first released in 1997. Adobe Systems bought Macromedia in 2005 and therefore owns Dreamweaver, now called Adobe Dreamweaver.
PageMill was often bundled with other products such as scanners or promotional CD-ROMs, rather than sold as a stand-alone product like its better known competitors.
- "Pipeline". InfoWorld (InfoWorld Media Group) 17 (45): p. 58. November 6, 1995. ISSN 0199-6649. Adobe began shipping PageMill for the Macintosh priced at $99.
- "Review of Adobe PageMill 1.0". Society of Cartographers Bulletin. late 1995. Archived from the original on 2007-09-22. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- "Review of Adobe PageMill 2.0". Society of Cartographers Bulletin. early 1997. Archived from the original on 2008-06-20. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- "Adobe PageMill Discontinued". Adobe.com. 2005-01-05. Archived from the original on 2005-03-07. Retrieved 2010-01-02.
- "PageMill 3.0.1 Update for Windows". Adobe. February 25, 2000. Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- Adobe PageMill, About.com
- Writing and Editing Your Web Pages, Fermilab National Laboratory LInC Online