Adolfo Camarillo High School
|Adolfo Camarillo High School|
|4660 Mission Oaks Blvd.
Camarillo, California, 93012
|School district||Oxnard Union High School District|
|Color(s)||Blue and White.|
|Athletics conference||Pacific View League|
Adolfo Camarillo High School is a high school located at 4660 Mission Oaks Boulevard in Camarillo, California. It was recognized as a California Distinguished School in 1996 and in 2009 and a National Blue Ribbon School in 1998. It is part of the Oxnard Union High School District. The land was purchased for the school by Adolfo Camarillo for the construction of a high school. Its current principal is Glenn Lipman.
The school teams are the Scorpions. ACHS has produced star athletes, including Randy Elliott 1969 1st round draft pick  and the first overall pick of the 2003 MLB Draft, Delmon Young, USA Olympic GOLD Medalist Jessica Mendoza, and multi-sport collegiate star Joe Borchard.
The Scorpions have two CIF-SS champion football teams in their history. In 1984, the Camarillo Scorpions football team won the CIF Southern Section championship in the Los Angeles Coliseum over Ventura High School. In 1996, ACHS beat Notre Dame High School of Sherman Oaks with future Oakland Raiders star Justin Fargas 20-16.
In 1991, Camarillo's softball team won CIF against Buena to mark the first ever championship for the program.
The school hosts the Camarillo Classic, a well known early season, two-day invitational track-and-field event, every March. It attracts dozens of teams from all over Southern California. The Distance Classic portion of the event has attracted notable athletes such as Jordan Hasay, Duane Solomon and Christine Babcock to come and produce record-breaking performances at the Camarillo Classic. In 2007, when Hasay ran her meet record 10:04.07 3200 meters, both standing national record holders in the event, Kim Mortensen and Jeff Nelson were in attendance.
USA chant controversy
A group of students from Camarillo High School received national attention due to them being told to remove patriotic bandannas and to not chant "USA, USA". The chanting, and wearing of the patriotic bandannas occurred during a basketball game against Rio Mesa High School, which lead to their ejection from the game, and suspension from school. Principal Glenn Lipman said that the instruction to remove the bandannas was a precaution, due to concerns regarding diversity, with Oxnard Union High School District Superintendent Dr. Gabe Soumakian saying that the U-S-A chant had "racist overtones". Latinos make up 67% of Rio Mesa High and 37% of Camarillo High; the group said that they were not intending to be offensive.
- Bryan Anger (2007) - NFL Punter for Jacksonville Jaguars #70 pick overall
- Joe Borchard (1997) - Major League Baseball player
- Randy Elliott (1969) - Major League Baseball player & 1st round draft pick
- Jerry Finn (1987) - Music Producer, Sound Engineer, Grammy Winner
- Jeremy Fischer High jumper and coach
- Joel Hodge Cinematographer
- Erik Komatsu (2005) - Major League Baseball Player
- Tom Lenk - actor
- Jessica Mendoza (1998) - Softball Olympic gold medalist
- Alex Nowrasteh (2002) - Influential economist and immigration policy analyst.
- Mike Parrott (1973) - Major League Baseball player
- Marla Runyan Paralympic Gold Medalist and one of only 5 athletes to participate in both the Paralympics and Olympics
- Jeff Tackett (1984) - Major League Baseball player (on the list of players that have hit a Home run in final at-bat)
- Hilary Van Dyke - actress
- Delmon Young (2003) - Major League Baseball #1 draft pick
- Randy Elliott Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
- Camarillo Classic website
- Dyestatcal. http://www.dyestat.com/results/trk2007/March/16%20Camarillo%20Dist%20Classic/Recap.htm. Retrieved October 14, 2008.
- "'USA' chants spell trouble for Calif. students". KTAR. 15 February 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- Jeffrey Dransfeldt (7 February 2013). "Chanting at Camarillo High basketball game sparks rally, racism concerns". Ventura County Star. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- Todd Starnes (13 February 2013). "Students Told to Remove Patriotic Bandanas". Fox News Radio. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Camarillo High School Students Punished For 'U.S.A.' Chant Viewed As Offensive To Latinos (VIDEO)". Huffington Post. 14 February 2013. Retrieved 15 February 2013.