Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez
After studying philosophy at the University of Madrid, Vázquez emigrated to Mexico in 1939 with thousands of other intellectuals, scientists and artists following the defeat of the Republic in the Spanish Civil War. Sánchez was appointed a full-time professor of philosophy at the National Autonomous University of Mexico in 1959, becoming a professor emeritus of the university in 1985. Sánchez also held honorary doctoral degrees from the Universidad Autónoma de Puebla and the University of Cádiz (Spain).
He embraced Marxism, although an open, renovating, critical and non-dogmatic version of it. His fresh interpretation of Marxism ran parallel to that of the Frankfurt School. In fact, The Philosophy of Praxis was published at around the same time as Marcuse was writing his One Dimensional Man . In regard to ethics, he opposed normativism.
- The Aesthetic Ideas of Marx (1965)
- The Philosophy of Praxis (1967)
- Rousseau in Mexico (The Philosophy of Rousseau and the Ideology of Independence) (1969)
- Aesthetics and Marxism (1970)
- Anthology. Texts of Aesthetics and Theory of Art (1972)
- Art and Society: Essays in Marxist Aesthetics (1973)
- From Scientific Socialism to Utopian Socialism (1975).
- Recollections and Reflections of an Exile (1997)
- Poetry (2005)
- Gandler, Stefan: Peripherer Marxismus. Kritische Theorie in Mexiko. Hamburg, Berlin: Argument-Verlag, 1999. 459 pages, ISBN 3-88619-270-9.
- Gandler, Stefan: Marxismo crítico en México, Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez y Bolívar Echeverría. (Foreword: Michael Löwy.) México, D.F.: Fondo de Cultura Económica / Facultad de Filosofía y Letras UNAM / Universidad Autónoma de Querétaro, 2007, 621 pages, ISBN 978-968-16-8404-4. Reprint: 2008.
- Fallece el filósofo y escritor Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez (Spanish)
- Galván Chávez, Ana. "Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez y el marxismo" ("Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez and Marxism") Retrieved 22 Mar. 2009. http://www.rolandocordera.org.mx/confi/galvan.htm
- (Spanish) Biography
- (Spanish) Adolfo Sánchez Vázquez and Marxism
- (Spanish) The Praxis in Sánchez Vázquez
- (Spanish) An interview with Sánchez Vázquez
|This article about a Mexican writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biography of a Mexican philosopher is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|