From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chiefly depicting battle scenes, and particularly events of the Napoleonic Wars, Northen's most noted works include
- Napoleon's retreat from Moscow which depicts the failure of the 1812 invasion of Russia by Napoleon
- Prussian Attack, showing the Prussian divisions of Hiller, Ryssel and Tippelskirch defeating respectively the French Imperial Young Guard, 1st Battalions of the 2nd Grenadiers and 2nd Chasseurs at the Battle of Waterloo.
Northern died in Düsseldorf aged 48.
- Champlin, John Denison Cyclopedia of Painters and Paintings, 2005
- Krafft, Eva Maria Katalog der Meister des 19. Jahrhunderts in der Hamburger Kunsthalle, 1969
- Artnet Adolf Northen retrieved 6 July 2007