The Imageon (previously ATI Imageon) is a line of media processors developed by ATI providing graphics acceleration and other multimedia features for handheld devices such as mobile phones and Personal Digital Assistants (PDA).
Designed as system-on-a-chip (SoC), the Imageon line of media processors was introduced in 2002 to bring integrated graphics (from 2D in 2002 to 3D in latest products) to handheld devices, cellphones and tablet PCs.
The system-on-a-chip design incorporates an embedded CPU core, baseband sub-system CPU interface, memory controller, power management (ATI PowerPlay), internal RAM and stacked RAM with memory buffer, two display engines (for dual monitors on cellphones), imaging engine, image/video/audio capture engine, TV and audio output, dual digital signal processors for audio and video, and video acceleration engine.
The Imageon line was rebranded under AMD, after AMD acquired ATI in Q3 2006, as AMD Imageon, with official claims to have shipped nearly 250 million Imageon units to customers since 2003. However as a result of company restructuring, AMD divested the handheld chipset business starting from the second quarter of 2008, thus the line is deemed officially discontinued.
At the end of 2008, the handheld branch was sold off to Qualcomm, following an earlier sale of the Xilleon branch to Broadcom. AMD retained the Imageon name and will provide support for existing customers, although no future Imageon products will be introduced.
Product line 
|This section requires expansion. (April 2007)|
Discontinued/Past generations 
- Imageon 100, the first product of the Imageon line.
- Imageon 3200.
- Imageon 2200/2250. Integrated a 2D graphics engine, a MPEG decoder, JPEG decoding and encoding capabilities, with embedded SRAM on-die as frame buffer.
- Imageon 2240.
- Imageon 2260/2262.
- Imageon 2300. Included 2D and 3D graphics engine (3D S/W), MPEG-4 video decoder, JPEG encoding/decoding, and 2 Megapixel camera sub-system processing engine.
- Imageon 2182.
- Imageon 2282.
- Imageon 2388/2380. Featuring industry first OpenGL for embedded systems (OpenGL ES) 1.1+ extensions support, for 3D acceleration.
- Imageon 2192. For mainstream devices with support for 3.1-megapixel camera sensor.
Current generation 
- Imageon 2294/2298, renamed as Imageon M100 series. Current top-of-line product, processor includes DVD quality recording and playback, HD TV output, and supports up to a 12-megapixel camera sensor. Products include Imageon M180.
- Imageon TV. Announced in February 2006, as the first Imageon product in the line featuring Digital Video Broadcasting - Handheld (DVB-H) signal receiving support, allowing handhelds devices to receive digital broadcast TV (DVB-H) signals and enables watching TV programs on these devices, the chipset includes tuner, demodulator, decoder, and a full software stack.
Newest Brazilian Tectoy Console called Zeebo uses the ATI Imageon Chip to deliver fast and reliable graphics plus 3G access to download updates and new games for the console.
Announced in 2008 Mobile World Congress in Barcelona, AMD renews the Imageon line with the following products:
- Imageon A250 application processor
- Imageon D160 mobile TV solution
- Free-to-air DVB-T and DVB-H reception
- quality of service and Doppler compensation for DVB signals for high speed mobility
- Complete DVB-T/H receiver module
- Multi-channel decode with PiP, fast channel change, and video recording
- AMD software stack (including Middleware) and 3rd party support
- Energy efficiency
In addition to the application processor and the mobile TV solution chip, AMD also licenses several technologies to other firms and partners, such technologies include audio and graphics processors, as listed below:
- Imageon M210 audio processor
- Multi-band equalizer
- Automatic gain control
- 99 db signal-to-noise ratio
- Supporting over 30 codecs including
- MP3, AAC, AAC+, WMA, AC3, DTS, MIDI with SMAF support, 3D audio, MPEG-4 SLS, FLAC
- support for 3rd party codecs and other codecs through downloading
- Standalone audio playback
- Energy efficiency of about 33 mW allowing 100 hours of audio playback with integrated power management
- Integrated memory
- Integrated analog audio codec
- USB 2.0, NAND, SD and Bluetooth support
- Imageon Z460 3D graphics core - this is an IP core synthesized in for example Freescale's i.MX5x series of application processors
- Imageon Z180 vector graphics core
Future development 
Future developments to be present on or before 2009, including embedded x86 microprocessor, support for OpenVG, OpenGL for Embedded Systems 2.1 with unified shaders (VS/PS 4.0/4.1), support for higher resolution of camera sensors (5 Megapixels for mainstream and more than 12 Megapixels for high-end products), display resolution support for WVGA (800×480), SVGA (800×600) and XVGA (1024×768) resolutions, H.264 encoding for video recording, AEC, voice recognition and 3D audio.
Renaming to Adreno 
|Adreno 130||MSM7x01||OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.3, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2, Direct Draw & GDI||-|
|Adreno 200 (AMD Z430)||MSM7x2x, QSD8x50||OpenGL ES 1.1 & 2.0, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2 & Direct Draw & GDI||-|
|Adreno 203||S4 Play
|Adreno 205||MSM7x3x, MSM8x5x, APQ8055
|OpenGL ES 1.1 & 2.0, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2 & Direct Draw & GDI||-|
|Adreno 200 'enhanced'||MSM7x25A, MSM7x27A||OpenGL ES 1.1 & 2.0, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2 & Direct Draw & GDI||-|
|Adreno 220||MSM8x6x, APQ8060||OpenGL ES 2.0 & 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D feature level 9_3, SVGT 1.2 & Direct Draw & GDI||-|
|Adreno 225||MSM8660x, MSM8960A||OpenGL ES 2.0 & 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D feature level 9_3, SVGT 1.2 & Direct Draw & GDI.||-|
|Adreno 230||MSM8225, MSM8625||-|||
|Adreno 305||MSM8x2x, MSM8x3x, APQ8030||-||-|
|Adreno 320||S4 Pro, S4 Prime
|OpenGL ES 3.0, 2.0 & 1.1, OpenCL 1.2, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D feature level 9_3, SVGT 1.2, Direct Draw and GDI.|||
|Adreno 330||Snapdragon 800|
- Adreno 130 inside the MSM7x01 offers a fixed function pipeline and support for OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.3, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2, Direct Draw and GDI.
- Adreno 200 (AMD Z430) inside the QSD8x50 (1 GHz) and MSM7x27 (600 MHz A11+L2 cache). It offers a programmable function pipeline and streaming textures with support for OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2 and DirectDraw. (22M triangles/second, 133M pixels/second, clock speed up to 128 MHz).
- Adreno 203
- Adreno 200 enhanced inside the MSM7x25A (800 MHz), MSM7x27A (1 GHz+L2 cache).It supports OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2, Direct Draw and GDI. (40M triangles/second, 432M pixels/second, clock speed up to 200 MHz).
- Adreno 205 inside the QSD8x50A (1.3 GHz), MSM7x30 (800 MHz+L2 cache), MSM8x55 (1 GHz+L2 cache). Its improvements include Hardware-accelerated SVG and Adobe Flash and better shader-performance than the Adreno 200. It supports OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2, Direct Draw and GDI. (57M triangles/second, 539M pixels/second, clock speed up to 245 MHz)
- Adreno 220 inside the MSM8660 or MSM8260 (1.2 GHz–1.5 GHz+1MB L2 Cache) with single channel memory. It supports OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D Mobile, DirectX 9.0c, SVGT 1.2, Direct Draw and GDI. (88M triangles/second, 2.4 Gpixels/second, standard clock speed up to 266 MHz, overclock up to 400 MHz).
- Adreno 225 inside the MSM8960 (1.5 GHz–1.7 GHz+1MB L2 cache), with unified shader architecture and dual channel memory. It supports Direct3D feature level 9_3 in addition to OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2, Direct Draw and GDI.
- Adreno 305
- Adreno 320 inside the Qualcomm S4 Pro & Prime Series, with unified shader architecture and dual channel memory. It supports Direct3D feature level 9_3 in addition to OpenGL ES 3.0, OpenGL ES 2.0, OpenGL ES 1.1, OpenVG 1.1, EGL 1.4, Direct3D Mobile, SVGT 1.2 
- Adreno 330
See also 
- Graphics hardware and FOSS#Qualcomm The open source freedreno driver for the Adreno GPU
- Nvidia GoForce media co-processor, a former competitor, and Nvidia Tegra, an entire SoC that uses GeForce derived graphics
- BitBoys Gxx series media co-processors, previous competitor, acquired by ATI
- Mali series media co-processors formerly Falanx, now become ARM Norway
- Imagination Technologies PowerVR MBX and SGX media co-processors, IP license-based products, current competitor
- Mitsubishi Z3D family media co-processors
- Toshiba T4G media co-processor
- Snapdragon (system on chip) is a family of mobile system on chips by Qualcomm..
- AMD sells handheld graphics unit to Qualcomm for $65M
- Qualcomm grabs AMD handheld, graphics tech
- "AMD Handheld Multimedia Technology – Unleash The Ultimate Mobile Entertainment Experience" (PDF). AMD. 2008-02-12. p. 17. Retrieved 2008-02-15. "~32mW Audio Subsystem for playing from SD/NAND (900mAh/3.7V battery; 150mVrms into 16 Ω headphones."[dead link]
- "Product fact sheet for Imagon Z460 ans Z180" (PDF). AMD. 2008-02-12. p. 17. Retrieved 2008-02-15. "[baseline performance] measured on ARM9 Versatile (ARM926EJ-S) at 210 MHz using a commercially available software rasterizer."[dead link]
- Qualcomm - Snapdragon S4 Product Specs
- AnandTech - Adreno 320 performance preview