Adrián San Miguel del Castillo
Adrián in training with Betis
|Full name||Adrián San Miguel del Castillo|
|Date of birth||3 January 1987|
|Place of birth||Seville, Spain|
|Height||1.90 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|West Ham United|
|2013–||West Ham United||20||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 04:32, 13 May 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Seville, Andalusia, Adrián was a product of hometown Real Betis' youth ranks, after having begun playing as a forward. He spent his first five senior seasons with the reserves, four of those in Segunda División B, successively backing up René and Brimah Razak. He was promoted to the first team for the 2011–12 season as third-choice – still continuing to appear for the B's – but suffered a severe knee injury in November that kept him out of action for several months.
Adrián made his La Liga debut on 29 September 2012, in a 0–4 away loss against Málaga CF: after Casto was sent off in the early minutes, he replaced field player Salvador Agra. Still in the 2012–13 campaign he became the starter, namely putting on a Man of the match performance in a 1–0 home win against Real Madrid on 24 November. Following his debut he went on to start the next 31 games, keeping eleven clean sheets as the club finished in seventh place and qualified to the UEFA Europa League.
West Ham United
On 5 June 2013, it was announced that Adrián would join West Ham United on 1 July, on a three-year contract. The Premier League club had the option to extend this deal for a further two seasons.
Adrián made his debut for the Hammers on 27 August 2013, in a 2–1 home win against Cheltenham Town for the season's League Cup: during the game he fouled Jermaine McGlashan to concede a penalty, which Matt Richards converted. His first league appearance came on 21 December, a 1–3 loss at Manchester United.
On 6 May 2014, Adrián attended West Ham's 2013/14 players awards and won 'Save of the Season' for a fingertip save from Oscar against Chelsea in January. He also won 'Best Individual Performance' for the same game against Chelsea, in which he kept a clean sheet in a goalless draw and 'Signing of the Season'. Adrián was named runner up in the 2014 'Hammer of the Year' to Mark Noble.
- As of 12 May 2014.
|Club||Season||League||FA Cup||League Cup||Other||Total|
|West Ham United||2013–14||20||6||1||0||5||1||0||0||26||7|
- "Barclays Premier League squad numbers 2013/14". Premier League. 16 August 2013. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Hammers catch keeper Adrian". West Ham United FC. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "La historia de Adrián, el portero que empezó de delantero (vídeo)" [The story of Adrián, the goalkeeper who started as a forward (video)] (in Spanish). El Desmarque. 6 June 2013. Retrieved 12 October 2012.
- Con Adrián, el Betis está en buenas manos (With Adrián, Betis is in good hands); Estadio Deportivo, 24 October 2012 (Spanish)
- El portero Adrián estará de baja medio año por una lesión de rodilla (Goalkeeper Adrián will miss half a year due to knee injury); Diario de Sevilla, 10 November 2011 (Spanish)
- Malaga crush 10-man Betis; ESPN Soccernet, 29 September 2012
- Betis stun Real Madrid; ESPN Soccernet, 24 November 2012
- "Diego López se lo ha ganado" [Diego López has done very well for himself] (in Spanish). El País. 19 April 2013. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "West Ham secure the signing of Spanish keeper Adrian". Sky Sports. 5 June 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "West Ham 2–1 Cheltenham: Match report". Sport.co. 27 August 2013. Retrieved 29 August 2013.
- "United revival gathering pace". ESPN FC. 21 December 2013. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- Websell, Paul (15 January 2014). "Jussi or Adrian: Who should be West Ham's number one?". FTB Pro. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "2013/14 Player Awards,". 5 May 2014.
- Adrián career stats at Soccerbase