|Nickname(s): Purple martin capital of the state of Missouri |
Location of Adrian, Missouri
|• Total||2.18 sq mi (5.65 km2)|
|• Land||2.09 sq mi (5.41 km2)|
|• Water||0.09 sq mi (0.23 km2)|
|Elevation||863 ft (263 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||1,644|
|• Density||802.4/sq mi (309.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0713161|
Adrian is located at (38.396857, -94.352328).
As of the census of 2010, there were 1,677 people, 685 households, and 430 families residing in the city. The population density was 802.4 inhabitants per square mile (309.8/km2). There were 782 housing units at an average density of 374.2 per square mile (144.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 98.2% White, 0.2% African American, 0.5% Native American, 0.2% from other races, and 1.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.7% of the population.
There were 685 households of which 33.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.9% were married couples living together, 10.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 37.2% were non-families. 32.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.99.
The median age in the city was 40.3 years. 25.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 22.9% were from 25 to 44; 25% were from 45 to 64; and 19.8% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.3% male and 53.7% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,780 people, 682 households, and 469 families residing in the city. The population density was 953.6 people per square mile (367.5/km²). There were 734 housing units at an average density of 393.2 per square mile (151.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 98.65% White, 0.39% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.11% from other races, and 0.62% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.01% of the population.
There were 682 households out of which 34.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.6% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.1% were non-families. 28.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.6% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 17.3% from 45 to 64, and 20.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 90.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 80.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $31,436, and the median income for a family was $39,125. Males had a median income of $32,798 versus $22,727 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,856. About 10.7% of families and 12.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.8% of those under age 18 and 10.0% of those age 65 or over.
Adrian's Frontier Village is the site of the annual Western Missouri Antique Tractor and Machinery Association Gas and Steam Engine Show, now in its 32nd year.
Adrian Public Schools are part of the Adrian R-II School District. Schools in the district include Adrian Elementary School and Adrian High School (Missouri). Dr. Kirk Eidson is the Superintendent of Schools.
The school mascot is the Blackhawks. The 2002 Blackhawk football team won Missouri's Class One Championship. In 1984 and 1992 Adrian won the Boys Missouri Class One Championship in Track and Field. The Blackhawks also won the 1994 Girls Class Two Championship in Track and Field.
The current mayor of Adrian is Larry Ritter.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Earngey, Bill (1995). Missouri Roadsides: The Traveler's Companion. University of Missouri Press. p. 3.
- Eaton, David Wolfe (1916). How Missouri Counties, Towns and Streams Were Named. The State Historical Society of Missouri. p. 285.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Adrian R-II School District". Adrian R-II School District. Retrieved August 21, 2012.
- Adrian Chamber of Commerce
- Adrian R-3 School District
- Western Missouri Antique Tractor & Machinery Association
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps of Adrian, Missouri (1894-1914) from University of Missouri digital library