|Residence||London and Oxford, United Kingdom|
Paul Adrian Barlow Beecroft (born Yorkshire Q2 1947) is a British venture capitalist based in London. He was for many years Chief Investment Officer of the private equity group Apax. He is currently Chairman of Dawn Capital.
Beecroft Report and controversy
The release on Monday 21 May 2012, of the long awaited "Beecroft Report" in the UK caused considerable controversy because it recommended that the government should cut red tape in order to make the hiring and firing of employees easier. The report claimed this would help to boost the economy although no evidence for this was provided. It was alleged that significant sections of the report had been doctored. It was also reported that some recommendations had been removed from the original draft of the report. On 21 May Secretary of State for Business Vince Cable condemned the report, saying it was unnecessary for the government to scare workers. Beecroft responded by accusing Cable of being a socialist who does little to help business and cited his own personal experience of having to pay out £150,000 for unfairly dismissing an HR employee as one of the reasons he included the idea in the report. One newspaper connected the recommendation to Beecroft's career of cutting jobs.
Beecroft is a supporter of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway of which he is a director. He is a keen auto-enthusiast, having an extensive collection of vehicles, including several Aston Martins, most notably a DBR1 which he races at a number of motoring events.
- "Index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 25 May 2012.
- "Home". Dawn Capital. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- Financial News (25 May 2010). "Apax veteran Beecroft returns to VC roots".
- The Guardian (23 May 2012). "Beecroft proposals: how Tory donor's radical blueprint split the government". London.
- Daily Telegraph (21 May 2012). "How Adrian Beecroft proposed to rip up decades of employee rights to boost the economy". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- Daily Telegraph (21 May 2012). "Controversial Beecroft report on employment reform doctored by No 10". The Daily Telegraph (London).
- "BBC News - Adrian Beecroft work report not doctored, No 10 says". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-05-22. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- "BBC News - Vince Cable calls sacking plans in Beecroft report 'the wrong approach'". Bbc.co.uk. 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- Winnett, Robert (2011-05-31). "'Socialist' Vince Cable not fit for office, says Adrian Beecroft". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- Moore, James (2012-05-26). "Revealed: How Adrian Beecroft made a career out of cutting jobs". London: Independent. Retrieved 2013-08-02.
- "Beecroft Institute of Particle Astrophysics and Cosmology". Physics.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-05-22.