No. 94 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
|Date of birth:July 6, 1988|
|Place of birth: St. Louis, Missouri|
|High school: Webster Groves (MO)|
|NFL Draft: 2011 / Round: 1 / Pick: 20|
|Debuted in 2011 for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers|
|Roster status: Active|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of 2013
Adrian Clayborn (born July 6, 1988) is an American football defensive end for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the University of Iowa, and earned consensus All-American honors. The Buccaneers selected him in the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
Clayborn was born in St. Louis, Missouri. At birth, he suffered from a condition known as Erb's Palsy, something that is caused during birth by an injury to the nerves surrounding a child's shoulder. Because his head and neck were pulled to the side as his shoulders passed through the birth canal, he suffered nerve damage resulting in the loss of some movement and weakness in his right arm. Clayborn underwent physical therapy throughout his young life and eventually overcame the limitations caused by the disorder.
When Adrian was 10, his older brother, Anthony, was shot and killed in northern St. Louis.
High school career
Awards and honors
- 2005 Missouri Player of the Year
- 2005 Missouri All-State
- 2004 Missouri All-State
Clayborn attended the University of Iowa, and played for the Iowa Hawkeyes football team from 2006 to 2010. He took a redshirt year in 2006, his first season at Iowa. In 2007, Clayborn became a second-string defensive lineman and saw action in several games on special teams. In 2008, Clayborn saw substantial playing time, recording 8 tackles for loss and 50 total tackles. In 2009, Clayborn had a breakout year with 20 tackles for loss. In a dominant effort against Georgia Tech, Clayborn was named Orange Bowl MVP.
Heading into 2010, Clayborn was listed on the preseason watch list for several awards. ESPN, Playboy Magazine, Sporting News, College Football Insiders, Lidy's and Phil Steele all selected Clayborn for their pre-season first team All American lists.
On October 2, 2010, Clayborn had his first break-out game of 2010. He had three tackles for loss against Penn State despite being triple-teamed for parts of the game. His play earned him Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week. On November 10, 2010, Clayborn was named one of four finalists for the Rotary Lombardi Award.
While preparing for the 2010 Insight Bowl, Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz announced that Clayborn was one of three Hawkeyes invited to attend the Senior Bowl, college football's pre-draft event featuring seniors with NFL prospects.
Awards and honors
- Consensus First-team All-American by NCAA, AFCA and Walter Camp.
- First Team All-Big Ten (Coaches, Media)
- American Football Coaches Association First Team All-American
- Ted Hendricks Award Finalist
- Rotary Lombardi Award Finalist
- Rotary Lombardi Award Pre-season Watch List
- Bednarik Award Semi-finalist
- Bednarik Award Pre-season Watch List
- Walter Camp Player of the Year Watch List
- Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List 
- Playboy Magazine Pre-season All-America Team selection
- College Football Performance Award Honorable Mention
- Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week – Oct. 4, 2010
- Big Ten Player of the Week – Oct. 25, 2009
- Big Ten Defensive Player of The Week
- 2010 Orange Bowl MVP
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP||Wonderlic|
|6 ft 3 in||281 lb||32½ in||9¾ in||4.78 s||1.61 s||2.69 s||4.13 s||7.08 s||35½ in||9 ft 6 in||17 reps||x|
|All values from NFL Combine and Iowa Pro Day except arm length and hand span|
2011 NFL Draft
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers became the first team to sign their first-round pick by signing Clayborn, according to ESPN. Clayborn recorded his first sack in week 3 of the 2011 season against the Atlanta Falcons. His sack on Matt Ryan also caused a fumble recovered by teammate Michael Bennett. In 2012, Clayborn was placed on injured reserve after injuring his knee.
- "Late bloomer Clayborn becoming dominant leader". The Gazette. 2009-11-10. Retrieved 10 October 2010.
- "Spotlight on Adrian Clayborn: Close to it All". The Gazette. 2010-08-10. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- Player Bio: Adrian Clayborn - Iowa Official Athletic Site
- Iowa's Clayborn the Dominant Orange Bowl MVP | KCRG-TV9 | Cedar Rapids, Iowa News, Sports, and Weather | Sports
- "Maxwell Football Club Announces Maxwell And Bednarik Watch Lists". Maxwell Football Club. 2010-08-09. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin Collect Weekly Football Laurels". Big Ten Conference.
- "Clayborn One of Four Finalists for Rotary Lombardi Award". Hawkeye Sports.
- "Iowa Football: Stanzi, Clayborn, Ballard Invited to Senior Bowl". iowahawkeyes.net (Hawkeye Nerd). 2010-12-24.
- "NCAA names Adrian Clayborn consensus all-American". hawkcentral.com (Hawk Central). 2010-12-20. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "Iowa's Clayborn named third-team All-America". chicagotribune.com (Chicago Tribune). 2010-12-15. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "121st Walter Camp All-America teams announced". cbssports.com (CBS Sports). 2010-12-09. Retrieved 20 December 2010.
- "3 Hawks defenders earn first-team all-Big Ten honors". qctimes.com (Quad City Times). 2010-11-29. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Clayborn Named First Team All-American". hawkeyesports.com (Hawkeye Sports). 2010-11-29. Retrieved 6 December 2010.
- "Iowa's Clayborn Named Hendricks Finalists". KCRG.
- "2010 Maxwell and Bednarik Award Semifinalists". Maxwell Football Club.
- "2010 Bronko Nagurski Trophy Watch List Announced". Football Writers Association of America. 2010-06-21. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Four Big Ten Players Land on 2010 Playboy All-America Team". Bleacher Report.
- "Clayborn and Prater Earn Performance Awards". Hawkeye Sports.
- "Big Ten Honor Roll: Tracking the Big Ten Conference's Players of the Week". bigtennetwork.com (Big Ten Network). 2009-10-25. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- Adrian Clayborn | Iowa, DE : 2011 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile
- NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Adrian Clayborn
- "Bucs' Adrian Clayborn out for season with knee injury". NFL.com. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- Adrian Clayborn's Official Website
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers profile
- NFL Combine profile
- ESPN stats
- Iowa Hawkeyes bio