Adrian Matejka (born in Nuremberg, Germany) is an African-American poet. He graduated from Southern Illinois University Carbondale with an MFA in Creative Writing. He has received fellowships from the Cave Canem Workshop and the Lannan Foundation. His most recent book of poetry, The Big Smoke, was published by Penguin in 2013 and is about Jack Johnson. It was a finalist for the 2013 National Book Award.  His work has appeared in literary journals and magazines including American Poetry Review, Callaloo, Crab Orchard Review, Gulf Coast, Indiana Review, Ploughshares, Prairie Schooner, and in anthologies including From the Fishouse (Persea Books, 2009)  and The Best American Poetry 2010 (Scribner, 2010). He teaches literature and creative writing at Indiana University. He lives in Bloomington, Indiana with his wife, poet Stacey Lynn Brown, and their daughter.
Honors and awards
- 2013 National Book Award, Finalist
- 2011 Lannan Foundation Residency Fellowship
- 2009 Illinois Arts Council 
- 2008 National Poetry Series
- 2002 New York / New England Award
Full-Length Poetry Collections
- The Big Smoke. Penguin Group USA. 2013. ISBN 978-0-143-12372-9.
- Mixology. Penguin Group USA. 2009. ISBN 978-0-14-311583-0.
- The Devil's Garden. Alice James Books. 2003. ISBN 978-1-882295-41-8.
- Toi Derricotte, Cornelius Eady, Camille T. Dungy, ed. (2006). "Understanding Al Green". Gathering ground: a reader celebrating Cave Canem's first decade. University of Michigan Press. ISBN 978-0-472-06924-8.
- Persea Books Website > “From the Fishouse’’ Book Page
- The Best American Poetry 2010, Guest Edited by Amy Gerstler
- Faculty: Creative Writing Program: Indiana University
- Illinois Arts Council Agency
- Adrian Matejka's website
- Indiana University faculty website
- "Adrian Matejka", Fishouse
- "Adrian Matejka", Prairie.org
- "Episode 7: Mixology", A Cup of Poetry
- "Want List", Shampoo 12, June 2002
- "Postlude", Perihelion
- "Equality", Sou'wester
- "Wheels of Steel", Prairie Schooner, Spring 2009
- "Looking for The Cantos in Texas (excerpt)" Poetry Society of America
- "Language Mixology" Verse Daily
- "Do The Right Thing," "Flight Reflex" Poetry Daily
|This American poet–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|