February 10, 1906|
Fort Smith, Arkansas, United States
|Died||December 3, 2002(aged 96)|
|Education||University of Missouri, American School of Design|
|Awards||Caldecott Medal (1960), Caldecott Medal (1962), Rutgers Award (1973), The University of Southern Mississippi Medallion (1977)|
Adrienne Adams (February 10, 1906 - December 3, 2002) was a children's book illustrator. She won two Caldecott Honors (in 1960 and 1962) and in 1973 she was awarded the Rutgers Award for overall contributions to children’s literature. In 1977, she won a University of Southern Mississippi Medallion.
Life and career
She was born in Fort Smith, Arkansas and grew up in Oklahoma She obtained a BA at Stephens College (who awarded her the Alumnae Achievement Award in 1964) then attended the University of Missouri and moved to New York in 1929 to study at the American School of Design and until 1949 she was a free-lance designer of displays, murals, textiles, greeting cards etc. She married children's book writer John Anderson in 1935 and in 1942 illustrated one of his books Bag of Smoke to begin her career as an illustrator becoming full-time in 1952. In total she illustrated more than 30 books, from contemporary authors such as Rumer Godden, Irwin Shapiro and Aileen Fisher to the fairy tales of Hans Christian Andersen and the Brothers Grimm.
- 1958 - The Story of Holly and Ivy by Rumer Godden (publ. Scribner)
- 1959 - Houses from the Sun by Alice E. Goudey (publ. Scribner) - Winner of Cladecott Honor 1960
- 1960 - The Shoemaker and the Elves by Grimm (publ. Scribner) - ALA Notable Book
- 1961 - The Day We Saw the Sun Come Up by Alice E .Goudey (publ. Scribner) - Winner of Caldecott Honor 1960
- 1961 - Thumbelina by Hans Christian Andersen (publ. Scribner) - ALA Notable Book
- 1963 - Bring a Torch, Jeannette, Isabella by W. Saboly (publ. Scribner) - ALA Notable Book
- 1968 - Jorinde and Joringel by Grimm (publ. Scribner) - ALA Notable Book
- Something About the Author, vol. 8, pp. 1-2.
- Illustrators of Children's Books: 1957-1966, 1968, pp. 70-71.
- Contemporary Authors: New Revision Series, vol. 1, pp. 9–10.
- Adrienne "Dean" Adams Anderson (1906 - 2002) - Find A Grave Memorial
- "Adrienne Adams Papers". de Grummond Collections. McCain Library and Archives University Libraries. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Adrienne Adams Papers at the University of Minnesota
- Adrienne Adams at Library of Congress Authorities, with 45 catalog records (including 1 "from old catalog")