Adrift (2009 Vietnamese film)
|Directed by||Bui Thac Chuyen|
|Written by||Phan Dang Di|
|Starring||Linh Dan Pham
Do Thi Hai Yen
Johnny Tri Nguyen
Nguyen Duy Khoa
|Music by||Ngoc Dai|
|Cinematography||Ly Thai Dung|
|Editing by||Feature Film Studio n°1 (Vietnam)
Acrobates Films (France)
|Running time||110 minutes|
Adrift (Vietnamese: Chơi vơi) is a 2009 Vietnamese film directed by Bui Thac Chuyen and stars Linh Dan Pham, Do Thi Hai Yen, Johnny Tri Nguyen and Nguyen Duy Khoa. Hai Yen plays Duyen, a young tourist guide who marries Hai (Duy Khoa), a taxi driver, but her friend and writer Cam (Linh Dan) still has feelings for her. The film deals with issues in modern Vietnam such as homosexuality and loneliness of the young generation. The film is a co-production between Feature Film Studio n°1 (Vietnam) and Acrobates Films (France).
Adrift was selected to participate in the Venice Film Festival, Toronto International Film Festival or Bangkok International Film Festival. At the 66th Venice International Film Festival, FIPRESCI awarded Adrift with its prize for young directors and cinemas.
Adrift begins with the wedding of Duyen and Hai. Duyen is a beautiful tourist guide and translator who marries Hai, a taxi driver who is two years her junior. Duyen thinks the marriage will make her happy but it turns out more difficult, especially since her childlike husband is uninterested in her efforts of intimacy and the marriage remains unconsummated. Cam, secretly in love with Duyen, is bitter about the marriage. Cam has Duyen deliver a letter to Tho, a handsome lothario and tourist guide who physically hurls himself on Duyen when she visits his home to deliver the letter. After Tho reports back to Cam that Duyen is sexually inexperienced, Cam diabolically persuades Duyen to take a temporary job as a translator on one of Tho’s beach tours, knowing what will happen. Duyen's time at the beach with Tho results in an affair leading to Duyen's sexual awakening but continued uncertainty about herself, marriage, and life.
- Do Thi Hai Yen as Duyen (Duyên)
- Linh Dan Pham as Cam (Cầm)
- Johnny Tri Nguyen as Tho (Thổ)
- Nguyen Duy Khoa as Hai (Hải)
- "Adrift - Choi voi". Toronto International Film Festival official website. Archived from the original on 16 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-10.[dead link]
- "CHOI VOI (ADRIFT) - THAC CHUYEN BUI". Venice Film Festival official website. 2009-09-12. Archived from the original on 2 December 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-10.
- "‘Adrift’ competes at Bangkok Film Festival". Thanhniennews.com. 2009-09-24. Retrieved 2009-11-10.[dead link]
- "Steamy Choi Voi to “come home”". Vietnamnet.vn. 2009-09-24. Archived from the original on 12 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-11-10.[dead link]